Is it a C or a B-flat? Confused

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tonick, Nov 15, 2015.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you want to play a C major scale with a piano, push the following valves:
    C1=1+3 (called D in Bb notation)
    D=1+2 (called E)
    E=2 (called F#)
    F=0 (called G)
    G=1+2 (called A)
    A=2 (called B)
    B=1+2 (called C#2)
    C2=1 (called D)

As far as the Bb trumpet goes, the clear sounding open notes start at written low C (sounding Bb), the next open note is G (F sounding), then comes 3rd space C (Bb sounding), then comes 4th space E (D sounding), then comes G on top of the staff (sounding F).

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    It's basically just a screwed-up mess...

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I believe most of us started playing with music scored for our instrument ... cornet or trumpet ... pitched in the key of Bb. Yet our minds have been pre-filled with vocal music in school and church that correspond to an instrument pitched in the key of C (piano, organ, stringed instruments) that are non-transposing they say, and in that statement I call a fallacy. My Mother could play her piano in other pitches as readily as I can now play her piano music on a Bb instrument. I think there was just some rule that instruments pitched in C were said to be in concert key ... and it is this tonation that the conductor expects to hear. When s/he asks for a middle C (midway between treble and bass clefs) a Bb cornetist / trumpeter best play a D what appears a step and one half higher. It just becomes the common language for all the instruments in the orchestra and the only one in which scientifically A=440 hz. Notice: It very very early Monday morning on the US East coast as here in NC, and I may be confused also.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    What gets interesting is when three players play D trumpet music on the A piccolo trumpet. One might refer to the written note (c for example), another may refer to the sounding note (d) and the third the note on the a trumpet (f).

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I'm playing a piece in D for Christmas with two piccs in A playing the 1st and 2nd parts and me on 3rd playing on a D trumpet. That's good because:

1) I don't own a picc any more
    2) I do own an Eb/D trumpet
    3) 3rd part is too low for a picc, anyway

Hopefully, we won't get into any discussions concerning individual notes or chords, since I'm just a "useful hack" whose formal music education stopped at the high school band level.

6. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    A-picc for D trumpet parts is simple reading of bass clef with a key signature of F

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Hmm, I thought the bass cleff with 3b's worked for the key of C on the A piccolo. I transpose up a fourth (and down an octave) when playing in the key of D.

8. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    OK, Baritone horn bass clef!

9. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I feel even more for the OP now! Are you getting all of this, tonick?

--bumblebee

10. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don't over-think it! Just play the notes! [​IMG][​IMG]