Is it bad that...?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Outkastah, Oct 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Outkastah

Outkastah Pianissimo User

Aug 29, 2009
    Boston
    Is it bad that I am 15 and can play up to double c?

Is it a good for me moment or can it really mess with me? I have herd of people not being able to play again because they messed up their lips too much playing high or is that just a freak accident?

Thanks
    Justin

2. CHAMP

CHAMP Piano User

Nov 16, 2005
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...............

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Can you play musically? Can you get around the horn the way most real composers ask, with multiple tonge, a nice sound and such? If so, the famed DHC is a trule blessing, and...

Have fun!

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is bad that you do not know the difference between high C and double C (2 octaves above the staff).
    It is bad that you mention notes but not music.
    It is bad that you even started a double c thread with no direction except "brag".

I can't say if you will mess your face up. That depends if you develop musically in a reasonable amount of time. High notes with no concept of how to use them properly are just NOISE. Most of the posts about double C are also just noise.

5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Here is some advice. Given by you. If you can advise someone else why do you need to ask? Most of us should be asking you because we can't get that high.

"My main execersise for getting my chops up is just playing high for a while. I only play high (for Fun) every other day because doing it everyday gives your face no time to adjust. Another thing, I only play up to what I can, dont pull too hard into your face or go too hard on yourself it will just wear you down quicker. Lastly only do it for a little while you dont want to be blasting C's for 3 hours and then expect the next day to be able to take it up an octive, it takes time and a lot of practicing. I have a range up to double C on a good day but I need some work too. lol hope this helped"

I think this could hurt your playing: Below is a quote from you

"I use a Loud 81M, It has a large rim and a shallow cup so I can pull it into my face. But I get a nice sound out of it. :)"

6. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Hi Justin, no its not bad, as long as your using embouchure strength and correct breathing,and not forcing the high notes, a lot of famous players known for their upper register ,developed it at a relatively young age, Maynard, Brisbois , Bergeron, Faddis, to name only a few.

7. Outkastah

Aug 29, 2009
    Boston
    Just for you haters, I know what double c is, its 5 lines above the staff and yes I can hit it, also Yes i can play musicaly and I can double toung and all that fun stuff. But im serious, one of my friends can no longer play because they messed it up playing too high. also I play 3 hours a day outside of school... thats probibly WHY I can play high

8. Outkastah

Aug 29, 2009
    Boston
    B15M, I know how to play high and such I just wasnt sure if it was safe for "me" because my face is still growing and changing and I dont want to mess with that lol.

9. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I don't think you can hurt your self if you do it correctly.

All you are doing is working muscles. If you strain them too much, they need to rest. When you don't rest enough, they get damaged.

Pressure will work to play high notes but, other things will suffer.
    Flexibility, endurance, tone.

I usually tell students not to go to extremes. Too shallow with the mouthpiece or small. Playing high all the time. There is a living to be made playing high notes but, at 15 who knows what the future will bring.
    If I were your teacher, I would take away the loud mouthpiece and put you on a Bach. Bach may not be the best mouthpiece but it is very main stream (in the middle) At 15 you are developing a base line to work from.

One more thing, I was at a show in a big practice room and a lead player came in. I listened to him play for a while. He could play high and low and had a beautiful sound throughout.

To sum up, work on everything, high, low, but not to an extreme and you won't get hurt.

10. Mamba21500

Mamba21500 Piano User

Feb 26, 2009
    Hi Outkastah,
    Although I can't hit double C, or even dream about getting it in the next few centuries, I know a few people that can, all of them could get it before they became 18, they can all still play amazingly years on. None of them use more pressure to get it then should be use (as little as possible whilst keeping the instrument on your lips). If you are using pressure to get it, stop going for it.

If he did not know the difference after being on this board for even an hour, I'd be surprised, due to your vigilance at getting people to get it right. I don't think people tend to brag about being able to get high Cs at 15, that's nothing unusual.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.