Is it bad to skip a day of practice?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by isuckattrumpet, Mar 17, 2014.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    With the endurance demanded of me with the quintet music book, I cannot take a day off as it really does diminish my performance level the next day, and it takes me about a week to recover. AND if it involved a gig day (the next day) I would not be able to make it through a 4 hour gig.

I think the classical saying applies:

Miss one day, you know it
    Miss two days, the ensemble knows it
    Miss three days, everyone knows it

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    If the next day, no one else but you depends on you, you should NOT feel guilty (unless of course you are Catholic then it's a given). But if it would impact on the quality of my performance with an ensemble, then I would bring the ensemble down, in which case, I would feel guilty, even not being Catholic.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Dr.Mark, I mind.

4. Littlejg

Littlejg Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2011
    UK
    This reminds me of a situation in Germany many years back. I was a cornet/trumpet/reserve string bass player in a British Military band, we were happily coasting along, normal full band practice, normal parades, officers mess gigs and open air gigs all over the place. Suddenly, the proverbial hit the fan. An impending inspection by top brass from UK Kneller Hall. Suddenly for weeks we did everything in the book, practice, practice, rehearse, rehearse, bags of quite complicated 2/4 and 3/4 playing while marching routines, cleaning everything, uniforms, instruments, mending music, the BM threw the book at us and didn't let up. Then two days before the inspection date, at full band, he said, OK, we are all responsible, both collectively and individually at this inspection, tomorrow will be a relaxing day for everyone, don't touch your instruments until the inspection........result?Pass with Flying colours!!

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is bad to take a day off. Even on days that we don't play, we can hone our musical and attitude related qualities. You are what you repeatedly do.

I had a serious operation 5 weeks ago and can't play for 3 months. I will argue that I am a better trumpet player now - because I did NOT take a day off.

Yeah, some people take a day off every week, some are married, some eat like pigs or smoke, some never oil their valves, some post WAY TOO MUCH at Trumpetmaster. So What? None of that has to do with their development. So, if you feel guilty, keep playing. It sure can't hurt if you are paying attention!

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hey, hey... it gives me something to do in between patients, otherwise I fall asleep at my desk and am found by my nurse with my face in a puddle of drool. Oh, I don't have hydration problems either, unfortunately. Also, I believe my TM patients follow my advice more than my paying patients. So I post away. So I post away.

PS: Thanks for giving me another reason for a post, and yep, gotta run off to see another patient.

7. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    I took a day off yesterday Sunday. Went out with a girl from work. Told my wife had to work late Anthony

8. trackday

trackday Pianissimo User

Apr 8, 2013
    This needs it's own thread - "Is it bad to cheat on my wife?" :-?

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I think your post covers it!

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    No guilt here.