Is it bad to skip a day of practice?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by isuckattrumpet, Mar 17, 2014.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    How about: "When, is it bad to cheat on my wife?":evil:

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Circumstances, and a small measure of laziness, has meant that I have not practiced every day for some time now. My rather pleasing former development didn't suffer too much in the short term, but now, many weeks later, I am in serious trouble of not being able to even hit the notes accurately.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Been there done that Ted! NOT FUN!!

4. isuckattrumpet

isuckattrumpet Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2013
    God Bless America
    Lots of good (and funny) responses here. And Dr.Mark, I saw your original post -- I hope you know that my trumpet teacher lives almost an hour away and is not always available for my questions. I do, however, write down questions if I remember to and take them with me to my lesson every week so I can ask him. I do it so frequently now that we've allotted a certain amount of time just for me to ask questions during my lesson.

5. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    I used to ask a lot of questions to and I drive 2.5 hours to my lessons each week. (200km each way). Yes I am comitted. Rather a good teacher that can get me to where I want to be rather than a hopeless teacher that is local. Musicians are crazy this way lol.

I found however, do what is said, if something does not make sense, ask for clarrification on those points. Many things I still dont understand, but I can see with the practice routine trying to do 'whatever he said' is actually helping and I am starting to 'do' it even though I don't know exactly what I am doing, I just know it is happening by default. Strange.

Anyways, I don't practice on Sabbath each week. However I do play music that day. Basically only use it for music/songs, rather than technical work which I do 6 days a week.

Since practice is about muscular strength etc (kind of like Gym) then rest is a good thing.

6. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Well,

I am about to make a shambles of everything.

I play lead trumpet in Detroit's busiest and most successful swing band, 14 musicians, a drummer and a vocalist.

I do all of the "trumpet feature" tunes. All of the Harry James, Bunny Berigan, Ziggy Elman, etc. solos.

I have been playing for 55 years.

I have no problems taking a day off. I occasionally take two day without touching the horn.

I have at times, not played for a week, and yet I pick up the horn and play a 4 set gig and no ones knows that I haven't been on the horn.

But that's just me.

Do NOT fear taking a day off from the horn.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    First of all, I am awe stricken and amazed you can do this without performance consequences. Man, I wish I had that ability, but for me, isuckattrumpet after 1 day rest. I guess for me I have a trumpet addiction.

But even more cool in your comment is how you isolated the drummer and singer from the "musician" category. Again, you are a man wise beyond your years and speak nothing but the complete truth!

8. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Calls 'em like I sees 'em!