Is it best to alternate "heavy" and "light" days, rather than have stagnant routine?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Vstern, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Vstern

Vstern New Friend

Jul 25, 2010
    Re: Is it best to alternate "heavy" and "light" days, rather than have stagnant rout

For the most part, I do get all my vitamins. Essentially, I just do what that packet says, and it covers just about everything. I'm asking if it's bad or good to do the same routine everyday. I'm asking because maybe it's bad to get too accustomed to a routine. But then again, whether the pill is red or blue makes no difference if they do the same thing. And with that I have answered my own question. But thanks for the advice everyone; I will stick to what I already do and maybe tweak a few things.

2. AaronPlaysTrumpet

AaronPlaysTrumpet New Friend

Jul 7, 2011
    Re: Is it best to alternate "heavy" and "light" days, rather than have stagnant rout

Although I've never put this into practice, one thought that has occurred to me was to create a weekly practice routine as opposed to a daily one. The core of it would cover each essential element of trumpet playing (lips, air, tongue, fingers) at least a little every day. But different days would be "specialized" for particular exercises, just like a weightlifter will trade off days working different muscle groups. In this hypothetical routine, I'd practice a lot of heavy duty lip slurs some days, extra long tones on others, extra articulation exercises, range, etc. etc. I always thought it'd be a great way to cover all your bases, add variety each day, and plan around rehearsals, gigs, and most of our other daily duties and hobbies. But like I said, I've never put this into practice. I've been sticking with daily routines (heavy vs. light on no set schedule) for years.

Just a thought.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC

I take the same approach - my practice revolves around how my chops are feeling. There have been days when nothing seems to work and rather than continue to beat myself up, I just put it away. There are other days where I'm really heavy on the technical side of the horn, and other days when I work mostly music...it just depends on the day.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown

Perfect! The trick is to venture outside the box just enough to see what works and what doesn't; preserve what already works and discover what works better--then change!

5. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona

dude.... your "heavy" day is 45 minutes??

6. Vstern

Vstern New Friend

Jul 25, 2010

Yes it is on average, but I rest in between each objective.

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY

Quit the fawning!! VB's got enough rep points already!! Gabriel's holding a spot for him.

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown

I need all the reputation points I can get if I can ever hope to get a date with Jennifer Aniston!