Is it impossible for some people to develop good tone?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpeter3197, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Trumpeter3197

Trumpeter3197 New Friend

Jun 30, 2012
    I wash my mouthpiece every day after practice, and clean my horn every 2 or 3 weeks. It's also not an equipment problem because I've sounded like this on multiple different horns and mouthpieces.

My valves are fine, a little sticky but always placed properly. Again, I can assure everyone this is not an equipment problem.

Is the tongue position an easy fix? I can try it later today. What specific effects would it have on tone?

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Most fixes are easy. Keeping fixed is waaay more difficult.

3. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    This is an important question. WHen you go duck hunting does your duck call sound like a nice trumpet tone? If so, I know what the problem is.
    You're welcome..

4. Evergrey_rocks

Evergrey_rocks Piano User

Aug 18, 2013
    The tongue is something you don't normally pay attention to. I know I didn't until my teachers started mentioning it in middle school. However, when you play, the back of the tongue should be at an arch. The arch raises when you play high and it lowers when you play low. Keeping it as low as you possibly can could help you open up your tone.

5. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi 3197,
    I've read a lot of really good suggestions but unfortunately, there's a large difference between what we recommend and what you're able to understand and apply and I don't say that to be rude or condecending. How is a person starting out (or with just a couple of years under their belt) suppose to have the in depth knowledge and understanding of someone who's spent a lifetime or makes their livlihood with the trumpet? Here's a recommendation that might fix your problem. Get private instruction. I think you'll find that a lot of what you've already been told will be applied by your instructor.
    Good luck and please don't be offended as it was not my intent.
    Dr.Mark

coolerdave likes this.
  6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I just want to know if someone jammed an oboe reed (reversed) into your mouthpiece. Otherwise at times I also have a ducky tone and have isolated it to a gargling / gurgling in my throat. I'd think acid reflux, but it leaves no acidosis taste in my mouth

7. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Wait a mo, you aren't making a sound in your throat as you play are you

8. -C-

-C- Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2011
    Pretty sure he said earlier in the thread that he has had 4 private instructors and none of them have been able to help.

9. Evergrey_rocks

Evergrey_rocks Piano User

Aug 18, 2013
    One other thing you might try:
    Tone problems can begin anywhere...however, here's something that drastically improved my tone. I had decent tone in middle school, but today I did a test over my marching music and I got commended for having beautiful tone and range for the piece. Anyway, next time you open up your case, leave the trumpet in the case, but take your mouthpiece and play. Just hold your mouthpiece up to your lips and play. Get the mouthpiece's sound and tone to sound as good as it would through a horn (now obviously it's not going to sound just like a trumpet), but what I mean is get the notes in tune and the tone will come as well. One band director said it best: "The mouthpiece is the instrument and the trumpet is only an amplifier." If you can get a good tone on just your mouthpiece, then you'll get a GOLDEN tone on the whole instrument. It's not something you will master within a day. You will probably have to do this for at least 2 weeks before you notice a difference. Honestly, I've done this with FANTASTIC results! Just play your warm ups on your mouthpiece only or try playing your music on just the mouthpiece. Whatever you feel like. But I can guarantee you from my experience that it will work, but you have to give it time. Cheers!