Is it impossible for some people to develop good tone?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpeter3197, Aug 8, 2013.

1. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    If that comment is to my post, you missed my obtuse humor.

2. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    If you have an extremely solid concept of what you want to sound like your body should compensate to produce this sound. My advice would be to listen to recordings of players whom have tone you delight in. Proceed to emulate this tone.
    This is only my pedagogy and as trumpet playing is not a science others will have different opinions.

3. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    Also, if you can, post a video of your playing. TM, in my experience, is not judgmental - we want to help each other out.

4. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    My two or three penorth. Don't stress it could be that you are trying so hard to produce a tone that you like that you are actually tying yourself up and getting tense killing a relaxed tone.
    If I had a student come to me with that sort of problem I would take him/her very briefly back to the begining and get them to concentrate on a free buzz, make sure the lips a buzzing freely, then buzz the mouthpiece make sure nothing is disturbing the buzz. Check the breathing is a efficient and not overblown. Then add the horn with something basic perhaps a slow even C major concentrating on slow long even tones. All of that may seem very banal but it gives you a basic check.

I love Barlimans advice to think about a few singing lessons, if nothing else I learnt more about phrasing and breathing from my singing tutors than any of my brass tutors.

Okay back to the playing, get hold of a mezzo soprano aria (Softly Awakes My Heart and Rusalka's Song to the Moon spring to mind) transcribed, something that doesn't go too high. Listen to the song (in English translation if possible) now play using the same style as the singer. Tell the same story through your horn.

5. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    If all else fails. Take up the trombone. :cool:

6. Juarez-MA

Juarez-MA Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2012
    The OP mentioned that the only tips for better tone included to change where he places his right pinky and to change how his fingers push the valves.
    These things, these physical changes, will not change how the OP sounds physically- and that is what AKTrumpet VetPsychWars said.
    VetPsychWars missed the reference and assumed that physical changes meant body growth, for example.
    That is what my comment is about.

7. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    - barliman, I noticed in your profile that you added “Austria” after “Vienna”, as if it would be necessary to remind an American membership where Vienna is. Harrumph. We're not stupid. Everybody knows that Austria is where the Kangaroos are.

Exactly. That's why I put that in. A few years back, I ordered a few items from an Irish online shop, just giving the street address and "Austria". Long time no response. Two months later a phone call revealed that the stuff had been sent off two or three days after ordering. Another two months went by. Then the shop called me, saying that my stuff had returned to them. The postal service had accidentally misread "Australia" instead of "Austria" and put everything into a plane for Sidney. There, the Australian postal service had tried to find me... and then returned the parcel to Ireland. Since then, I usually give my address as: "Name, Street, Vienna, Austria, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way, The Universe".

8. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Maybe the two items I posted in England in 2010 are being looked for me in Austria.

Regards, Stuart.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Speak for yourself. I've dated a few.:bravo:

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Re: Is it impossible for some people to develop good tone?

Let me turn that question around a bit. Is it possible for many people to develop good tone. Answer: Yes. That's me, the eternal optimist.

From Dayton, Ohio, not Daytona, Florida and definitely not Dayton, Iowa.