Is it impossible for some people to develop good tone?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpeter3197, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I would suggest inviting your teacher or trusted trumpet player to emulate your sound, and having them explain what they do to sound "bad."

2. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    No its's just the utimate insult.

3. jellesmiecht

jellesmiecht New Friend

Jun 1, 2012
    :shock: your spirit is :welcome: but I already been taken...:play:
    the phantom of trumpetra haunts inside me...

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    That is a good trumpet spirit; just don't let her tempt you into taking off to some desert island where you are only permitted to taking 1 album.

5. RicardoStalwart

RicardoStalwart Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2012
    Maryland
    I skimmed over alot of everyone's posts but didn't hear a lot about the benefits of long tones on your over all tone. Long tones(especially in the lower register) require you to breath properly, or you wont be able to sustain a note down there very long because warm slow air is required. Aperture& embouchure control is essential; this actually helps your upper register as well. I luv using A Bb B and C for long tones; mess around with volume, how you strike the valves, and also try to manipulate your tone; you can make it more breathy , thin/ thicken. Consciousness experimentation is essential in becoming a good trumpet player/musician. My struggle is with consciousness; when I try to analyze what I'm doing right to understand it and make it a subconscious practice I lose It! Mirrors help noticing the bad stuff like embouchure/body tension.

6. -C-

-C- Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2011
    Although skill and technique is an essential part of playing the trumpet well, I think sometimes we over do it to the detriment of our tone quality. Cutting through the band with a high run is great but sometimes we have to be able to listen and blend our sound with the instruments around us.

I wonder if the OP has mastered playing the notes but hasn't properly developed an ear for the music. IMO, you have to hear it and feel it to have good tone. Which may partially explain why 4 teachers haven't been able to help.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Long tones are best at warming a player up for the rest of the practice session. It is the rest of the practice session that has the most effect on tone. With control comes tone.

Long tones more specifically only serve to warm up, or loosen the muscle fibers. Once warmed up, muscle of the embouchure is much more responsive to the workout that lays ahead. That work out then involves scales, phrases, tonguing variance on the phrases, the octaves you ride up and down on, that is where breath support has more impact. With long tones all you need is a relaxed breath to hold the note on. There is much more demand on breath support with the rest of the lesson.

That may be why you haven't seen much discussion on long tones, as developing good tone depends on the practice session that lays ahead.

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Some of the modern jazz that I hear on Sundays from my local radio station's 4-hour jazz show leads me to believe that YES! :shock: It's possible that it's impossible for someone to develop a good tone.

I asked my sax teacher what was the best way to achieve great tone (he sounds like Stan Getz). He said, "Long tones! And, a lot of listening to the greats, the ones you want to sound like." He went on to explain how he'd done, earlier in his career, two full years of doing two hours a day of long tones (only on tenor). He calls that a foundational reason for the tone he has (on tenor) today.

Personally, I love long tones .... It's my substitute for meditation (which I don't have the patience for).

Turtle

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Turtle, Don't for get the part after the And... listening to the phrasing and ideas of the greats... that is what gives you the desired tone you want as a player (great is subjective).

Long tones is only the beginning...

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And this is where your teacher fails. He sounds like Stan Getz... He has failed at developing his own sound I am sad to say... You should never strive to sound like the one you want to sound like... you should strive to sound like Turtle... any other outcome, and you have failed as an accomplished artist... otherwise you are delegated to "painting by the numbers"