is it just me or am i worse when i'm sick?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Young Trumpeter, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Young Trumpeter

Young Trumpeter Pianissimo User

Jun 10, 2006
    hi i've had a cold for about two days, and yesterday (when it was at its worse) i didn't practice because i was simply too "weak". today i'm feeling a little bit better and i was practicing and i was surpised to hear that my sound was drastically worse than normal. it was very muted, and although i knew i was supplying plenty of air it didn't sound like it. my sound just didn't have that sort of rich vibrant property it normally has. does this have any relation to my cold, or is it more becaue i skipped a day of practice (which i almost never do)? has anyone else experienced a similar problem or is it just me?

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Chances are you blew some mucus into your ears. Beware of ear infections, but in a few days your hearing should return to normal. Good luck!

3. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    That deadness is exactly what Vulgano Brother said. I had a similar experience, but different enough. I tend to build up excess earwax...heavily enough that it sounds like you've got your fingers shoved in your ears. After I had been playing like that for a while, I had gotten accustomed to it. Then, when it got cleaned out, I noticed that my sound was more brilliant than I had been experiencing. Quite a shocker. I managed to acclimate. Give it time, trust your inner ear and don't force or over push your dynamics. Once your cold passes and your ears clear out you'll hear yourself normally.