Is it me or the horn? Help needed

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Aussie Matt, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Aussie Matt

Aussie Matt Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2010
    Hi everyone,
    Some of you may remember I posted recently about the lacquer coming off my new Jupiter 606ML. Long story short, Jupiter replcaed it under warranty.

While that was all getting sorted out (it took four weeks), I admitedly didn't play as much as I had been but did play a bit on my old horn (Martin Magna) and with the same mouth piece (Bach 3C).

So, I went to the shop, played a few new ones (all consecutive serial numbers), chose the one I liked best and left. I didn't sound great but put that down to lack of playing.

Nearly two weeks later and I am in a world of hurt. I cannot get this thing to sound good; I cannot hit notes accurately in the staff and anything above is woeful. I will play a simple scale and miss some notes. What I'm finding is that I am fighting this horn every step of the way. My previous Jupiter was a joy to play; everything slotted beautifully right from day one.

I'm going to give the shop a call, and I'm waiting to hear back from my teacher on this, but wanted to run this past you knowledgeable folks as well. I'm in no way a great player and in some respects am quite new to this (playing a few years and now at Grade 4 level, Grade 5 exam coming up later this year), but I've never had to fight like this to articulate notes.

I was just putting it down to not a lot of playing for a few weeks but, two weeks later, I'm now wondering if it is possible that the intonation is so far out of whack that there is actually a problem with the horn? I hate to blame equipment but this realy doesn't seem right.

Any thoughts?
    Thanks, Matt.

2. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Hi Matt,

Apart from suggesting you keep doing what you're doing (contacting the shop etc) I wonder if your old horn is still somewhere where you can get it? If the shop still has it perhaps you can try it again now to compare, and if it is indeed a fact your replacement horn is not matched to you maybe you can get your old one back (and sort out the lacquer issue some other way).

Has your teacher or somebody else tried out the new horn?

I know how it is to be parted from your horn for some time -- tomorrow I'm getting my primary horn back after 4 weeks away and am wondering if I'll need to reacquaint myself with it, and wonder too what changes I'll notice in it following the work which has been done.

--bumblebee

3. Aussie Matt

Oct 12, 2010
    Thanks Bumblebee. Whether my old horn is still around is going to be one of my questions to the shop. It would certainly tell me if it was just in my head or not. I'd happily take it back – at least it played great and I know any issues would definitely be at my end. Better to have playability and tone than looks. Still, a brand new trumpet with disappearing lacquer isn't great...

4. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    You seem to be ignoring the other half of bumblebee's advice. Have someone else such as your teacher play it and see if they have the same problem. This could give you a quick reference as to whether it is the horn or you.

5. Aussie Matt

Oct 12, 2010
    Not ignoring that at all. I have a lesson on Monday and will be asking him to try it out. Sorry, forgot to reply to that part (at work, trying to sneak in some TM time...).

6. jdangel38

jdangel38 Pianissimo User

Jun 9, 2011
    So I have to ask, whats wrong with the martin magna? I would love to get one eventually.

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Have you checked the water key corks and springs ... it could be a valve alighment... you could also check the mouthpiece gap ... actually sounds like a dirty horn or an air leak of some sort. ,,, if it's the horn.

8. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    +1

If you can play OK on the Magna - and it does not work on the Jup, then that's where I'd start. Leaking corks can screw it up badly. Check they bed in.

Your teacher will be best to help.

9. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    Jupiter is overrated. And overpriced. It is basically just another chinese horn (ok, taiwan, or whatever) fact is there are bunch of other horns of that same quality for 300-500 USD -while Jupiter is priced around 700USD. So 200USD for the name only is too much

and for 700USD , you can get nice and fully functional used 30years old; Olds, Getzen, Holton -even Bach

700USD on Jupiter is vasted money -in my opinion.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  10. Aussie Matt

Oct 12, 2010
    A good question jdangel38. Nothing at all except it is a much tighter blow and a previous teacher thought it was holding me back. Getting something more easy blowing, i.e. the Jupiter, was/is a lot easier for me to play at the level I'm at. When the time is right, I hope to use the Magna a lot more. It really does sound great.