Is it me or the horn? Help needed

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Aussie Matt, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Aussie Matt

Aussie Matt Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2010
    I haven't Dave, but I will. I gave it a good clean even though it was fresh out of the box, thinking there might be something getting in the way somewhere, but it was no better.

Peter, I did play a lot better on the Magna – and that is not usually the case. I'll be happy to spend a good bit of my next lesson having my teacher look over the alignment, corks, springs etc. I did notice that the water key springs were pretty crook (on all the ones I played). You guys might be onto something. Thanks.

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    +1 -- last month I had a similiar problem with my King Silver Flair. All of a sudden it didn't slot well. Knowing that I just cleaned it the week before -- I couldn't figure out why -- so I cleaned it again, and a third time. The horn looked spotless, or as we say here -- "clean as a whistle".
    My other trumpets were fine ----Needless to say my mind started thinking that I lost "HOW TO PLAY" this particular trumpet. The mind will play games with your horn playing.

IN short -- I finally took my horn to the air compressor --- put some valve oil in the lead pipe -- and blew 100 psi air into it, moving the valves and such for several minutes.. I ended up getting a dark slimy little glob out of the horn -- really kind of insignificant little piece -- but that was the difference --- where it came from I do not know-- but that was the problem:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

3. Aussie Matt

Oct 12, 2010
    Wow, that's scary. No air compressor at my place but I can track one down. There really does feel like a lot more resistence than the previous horn. There was even one moment when I hit serious pressure, like I was blowing through a straw and someone stuck their finger over the end. Maybe there is something sneaking around in there....

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    YES -- it could be --- that was the first time in the almost 3 years of my comeback that I experienced a problem with the King trumpet ---nonetheless, have your instructor play the new horn to see what he thinks:thumbsup:
    ps. do you live near the beach -- like maybe Perth??? just asking, as I stumbled across a surfing site with beautiful Australian women surf instructors, and NOW I want to take lessons:thumbsup: -- to listen to them talk or even YELL at me --- ROFLROFLROFL I think I have fallen in love with Aussie women :wub::wub:

5. Aussie Matt

Oct 12, 2010
    I'm on the East coast, at Narrabeen on the northern beaches of Sydney. One of the best surfing beaches on the planet and the same Narrabeen immortalised in the Beach Boys' Surfin' USA.
    Anyway, I've done a lot of travelling and, considering the surf and Aussie women, I'm staying put! It's very easy to fall in love with Aussie women. My trumpet teacher did, now I think about it. He's from El Paso, Texas. She's a local. And yes, she's gorgeous. Plays trumpet too...

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    +1 -- :thumbsup:

7. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    How does that compare to Surfer's Point in WA, do you know?

Also, KT, for thrills you could try kite-surfing around Phillip Island in Victoria -- though that might be too much of a "blokey" scene for you (I never saw a Shiela trying it myself). Makes you appreciate life insurance (or, to be more accurate, makes your family appreciate it).

--bumblebee

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Yes Phillips Island looks a bit touristy for me -- and having no "sheila's" surfing is a definite turn off --- I was more looking to meet the regular sheila's who don't often see Americans --- perhaps my accent will be just as profound and interesting to them --- as they would be to me --- and besides I don't have clue how to surf -- so I was looking for a tutor or instructor:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:ROFLROFLROFL

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    OK, OK, OK -- you sound just like my MOM -- she told me years ago that if I picked my nose and ate my boogers --- that would become a nasty habit ROFLROFLROFL