Is it me or the horn? Help needed

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Aussie Matt, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    As many pre-owned instruments as I've acquired and sold, I am not surprised by anything I'd find in them ... but too I'd be just as skeptical in purchasing a new instrument especially those in stores as allow play before you pay.

Others have told of metal filings and globs of solder inside new instruments and add to this what is consequent to others having test played them prior. I know of no music store / sales establishment as ultra sonically cleans every instrument between players ... do you? I think it's time for sales to have a visual scope allowed by the customer of the interior of every horn they sell, new or pre-owned.

2. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    THIS IS VERY VERY DANGEROUS FOR ANYONE TO TRY.:evil:

Anyone trying this runs the likelihood of shooting slides all over the place. A danger to others, and the slides.

PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS!!!!:evil:

3. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    I agree with trumpetsplus, the horn is not designed for 100psi and you could possibly damage it. If you want to get a good clean horn order the reka cleaning kit, you can get every nook and cranny in the horn. If there is something stuck in there this kit will get it !! AND it's designed for the horn !!

Browsing Store - Reka Trumpet Cleaning Kit

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    oh I forgot to tell everyone to secure the slides -- ROFL

YES -everyone please do not do the following::evil:
    do not eat while you are driving --:evil:
    DO - lift heavy objects using your legs and not your back (or get someone else to help you anyhow)
    wear your seat belts, obey the speed limits, stay awake while driving
    always use both hands and feet when ascending or descending a ladder
    chew your food before you swallow it (so you don't choke)
    always view a gun as loaded (whether hunting or target practicing) do not look into the barrel:evil:
    wow -- I forgot most people in today's society are devoid of common sense -
    oh my NOW you got me started -- the first line of directions for a trumpet -- """please READ THE ENCLOSED INSTRUCTIONS before unpacking your instrument""":dontknow:

5. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Why not?

--bumblebee

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
  7. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    I wonder what PSI Roger Ingram uses to nail those Double D kicks in Harry Connick's band in Red-Light Blue-Light? Anyone ever some any scientific measuring of air volume and pressure?? Sounds like a good fall project for Nick's science kids.

8. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Your opinion is fine and everyone is entitled, however that's not what the man's asking for. He's asking if it's him or the horn, not which brand to use. I'm just saying, he's asking for other's expertise and suggestions. There are some good ones, this one's not getting to the issue at all.
    I'm in favor of having someone else play it and see if it has the same problems for them, that would give an unbiased angle on it.

BigDub

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    of course I hate to argue with your report (but as a safety instructor you should know -- the report you quoted is at best incomplete) --- the most substantial injection injuries to humans are high pressure foreign substances --- primarily diesel fuel, or hydraulic oils from substantial pressures above 1500 psi --- and I might add at very small streams of injectable fluid that would be found in the mechanical industry -(ie fuel injection systems, or ruptured hydraulic lines)
    the injury in your report of 25psi is NOT THE NORM -- you have a mechanic NOT following proper safety procedures anyhow (ie. proper personal safety equipment --having no gloves for hands in a solvent) :shock:--and a previous injury to boot.:thumbdown:
    that being said -- one should NOT use an air hose for certain things.
    here is some advice to people -- don't poke yourself in the eye with a sharp stick, don't put a bell or whistle next to your ear when you sound them, DO NOT ingest foreign substances that are NOT food.
    and BY ALL MEANS DO NOT PUT AN AIRHOSE or anything else up your aarse -- because that is not the proper receptacle for an airhose - or pretty much anything else:thumbdown:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    ***disclaimer -- please use compressed air responsibly -- the following video is used to demonstrate the destructive power of compressed air --- it is NOT intended for you to go and try this at home--- YES - Aussies' this is what we call a "REDNECK" here in the states, having a little fun in his spare time***
    PLEASE USE YOUR AIR RESPONSIBLY -- whether you are playing your trumpet, or just playing around --
    AIR CAN BE DANGEROUS IF USED IMPROPERLY ROFL

‪900 mph Pumpkin‬‏ - YouTube