Is it me or the horn? Help needed

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Aussie Matt, Jul 27, 2011.

1. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    is that only the air he is launching???? no missle? WOW!!

2. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    look here

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f140/vintage-1917-frank-holton-co-trumpet-62460-3.html#post574645

thats what you get for 401,99 USD these days -genuine US quality -old school trumpet -absolutely beautifull. Pure gold. (well it is still brass -but thats just an expression)

And still some people will pay 700,00USD for some dodgy Mao Tze Horn

3. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    If a 700,00USD dodgy Mao Tze Horn plays better than that genuine US quality -old school trumpet, then I'll own the Mao Tze horn in a heart beat. It's not what what they look like, it's how they play, well, to a performer anyway. If that holton plays like a tank, then it's only good as a lamp and worth about 10 dollars ! This guy is asking if his horn is having a problem or not. Sounds like he's more interested in performance over looks also.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I haven't read all 4 pages but the problem could be your horn, not the original. Even among pro horns there are variances and some are good and some are very good and some are just plain bad. If you could get your old horn back, I would and hang the cosmetics in favor of sound.

5. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    STILL missing the initial question. This is like answering someone when he asks if his driving is the problem or is it his it a warranty issue with his Dodge Neon, and you tell him he should really get a BMW.:huh:

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I believe he is using a pumpkin as the projectile:thumbsup:

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    +1

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Murder has been committed by pressurized air, and the killer nearly got away with it and might have were it not for his own drunken whiskey mouth at a bar explaining how he did it. I won't go into forensic detail as I was not the LEO assigned or the coroner, nor did I sit on the jury as sentenced him to death. Then I was just a newsboy and did read the newspapers I carried and sold. My only comment is that he was then appropriately executed with another "gas", and that alone should establish the era.

9. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hey Kingtrumpet,
    You said:
    These are not my reports - they are independent - check the web for yourself for many examples, or speak to any doctor at a local hospital. I am not talk High Pressure Injection here, and the reports are about air bubble injection into small cuts with normal compressed air. Pressures below 50psi. (Yes I work with the Mining Industry and have experience with drill rigs and equipment, whip checks and hydrauilics etc are serious, but the level of injury from compressed air can be just as serious - not foreign bodies, but air bubbles injected into the blood-stream). My safety quals are not the focus here.

Seriously using compressed air on the body is Stupid - end of story. Using high pressure on a trumpet with valves and tubes is just as stupid. Air leaks from sleeves (Yes Valve oil and Vaseline at 100psi coming from the slide join - just think for a second.
    These are basics. Do Not use compressed air -

Putting disclaimers, and making jokes about criticism and getting defensive on your position on a forum where young kids are reading your rubbish, demonstrates an immaturity.

It would be easier if you just said you got it wrong, and move on. Using compressed air for the purpose you described, is just dumb.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You are absolutely correct and this has been expressed as a warning before on TM.

Now fortunately, we are talking about Kingtrumpet, and he has no vital organs to injure, especially the major organ above the neck. So for him, no big deal. But for all the rest of our TM readers...

Again...

PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DO THIS AT HOME OR ANYWHERE ELSE!