Is it me or the horn? Help needed

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Aussie Matt, Jul 27, 2011.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    What??? Distance AND height??? It's really starting to sound like an Olympic event. Where are they going to hold the Slide Spitting Trials?:dontknow:

Turtle

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    As slick a I prefer my third valve slides to be, it would be easy to blow them over the wall. I'd just climb the ladder I leaned against the wall and not hold onto my third valve slide ring on all my horns except the Olds Ambassador as the others don't have any stop. Shucks, most I wouldn't even have to blow ... just tip them downward and they'd fall on the other side. Then I'd send the horn to you Ivan for a replacement 3rd valve slide. Still, I don't know of any wall near this town for such a challenge. The best I could find would be the concrete railings of a few bridges, but then I'd like to attach a fishing line to the crook of my slide. Shucks, local laws forbid fishing from the bridges so they have to be eliminated from being the situs of a viable "sport". Still, fishing for the striped bass / rockfish is renown in this area as nearby town is acclaimed the "Rockfish Capitol".

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    SURE - I will admit that using compressed air in a very thin exit of projection could cause problems ---- AND any FOREIGN substance entering the body through a previous wound (even if NOT under pressure) could be injurious.
    ((for the record we are talking about 100psi air, at 1/8th inch air gun nozzle, and then further opened up to the trumpet lead pipe diameter -- we are not putting the trumpet itself under 100 psi and closing the thing off))) --
    BUT OK -- you shouldn't do this

NOW for the record why don't you admit that most mining accidents are from 2 groups of people -- those 26 and under with very little mining experience --- and those 55 or older with 25+ years of experience.

LET'S put this in perspective --- the younger group, less experienced -- think they are invincible and throw caution to the wind --- and those OLD guys think they know everything --- and forget safety, and both groups people die or are severly injured as a result.:-(:-(:-(

here in America --- we have MSHA -- mine safety agency -- I have seen the pictures, I have read the reports, I sit in the classes each year -- the greatest share of accidents are from 1 simple reason

PEOPLE ARE STUPID!!!!!!!!! OLD OR YOUNG --- WHEN COMMON SENSE IS IGNORED, SAFETY RULES ARE ABANDONED -- THEN ANY TASK CAN CAUSE AN INJURY AND/OR FATALITY.

case and example -- people just getting on or off mining equipment -- and NOT using a 3 points of contact rule - falling less than 12 feet ---- and dying --- because they were STUPID:-o:-o:-o
    OK -- I had better stop --

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    ....WHEN COMMON SENSE ....-- I had better stop --

I have not seen that term "Common Sense" used in Safety since the 1980s. Common Sense is derived from experiences, so will be different for every person and Common Sense has no relative point of measurement......
    ---Don't get me started--

Safety is Doing something in a Planned and Controlled Manner to Reduce the Risk of Harm.

Sadly people do make mistakes, don't recognise risk, and take a chance. People get hurt.
    I do believe all incidents and accidents are avoidable..

Failure to speak up, or ignoring the risk, carries a level of responsibility for the next event. I want to be able to sleep at night. Let's just say it has been discussed to death, and move on.
    Have a Nice Day.

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    :shhh:
    +1 --"""Let's just say it has been discussed to death, and move on.""""

should have worn your PPE :shhh::shhh::shhh:

6. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Here we are, in a nutshell, getting OFF track a bit. The original thread is this: The man has a question about his horn.
    1.Laquer worn prematurely on his Jupiter trumpet, gets a replacement, it doesn't slot well at all like the original.
    2. Is it his fault or the replacement trumpet's?

Here is the extent of the replies:
    -Chinese Trumpets are no good. (much discussion on that)
    -Olympic event involving trumpet parts shot into or over a wall.
    -Safety regulations and common sense.
    Am I missing anything?
    BigDub

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Since you've taken on the role of thread police, please don't forget there was mention of Aussie women, some air/water sports, Martin Magnas, and a few constructive suggestions about water key corks and having someone else try the Jupiter.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Wow, we did get off track. But seeing this simple summary putting everything in clear perspective, I now can give a simple answer:

It's the trumpet that is at fault. Now we can spend another 6 pages trying to find out what is wrong with that freakin' trumpet!

Wounder what Olympic event will next come abot from this continuation...

9. Aussie Matt

Aussie Matt Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2010
    Hi everyone, OP here. I'm glad to have been the catalyst for some interesting discussion on air pressure. Rest assured, I won't be putting one near my horn.
    Thanks for all your suggestions, and thanks BigDub for going into bat for me (that's an Aussie term, I think).
    What I've gleaned from the thread is that there is possibly an air leak someplace or that the valves are out of alignment, and that my money would have been better spent on a better horn. Does that sound right? I have a lesson scheduled tonight and am looking forward to having my teacher check it. Unfortunately I may need to postpone the lesson but hopefully I'll be able to report back with a professional's opinion shortly.
    Please remember that there is a good chance that this is just me and I am very reluctant to blame the equipment. And, that particular model Jupiter comes highly recommended down here for beginner through to intermediate players and, lacquer issue aside, if my original one was anything to go by, I'd agree. I'm sure life used to be easier once upon a time...

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    keep in mind that because you are an AUSSIE -- that is why these posts get out of hand --- everyone here loves the Aussies :grouphug: ---- and as you know -- even a simple hello from a new member (if and only if they are Australian) will elicit nearly a hundred responses --
    so on a serious note --- you should be very glad that you are you --- and you should definitely blame the equipment until that hypothesis is proven wrong ----:-?:-?:-? ---- and you should be glad that so many people took an interest in your post --- even if it did get off tangent a wee bit ---- and you should be sure to PM gmonady and tell him --- HE IS THE BEST, and that you love his participation and insight --ROFLROFLROFLROFL
    the poor ole chap -- he looks forward to PM's from AUSSIES :thumbsup::thumbsup: