Is it me or the horn? Help needed

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Aussie Matt, Jul 27, 2011.

1. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA

3. Aussie Matt

Aussie Matt Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2010
    Well, it's not me. My teacher just had a look at it and here are the issues:
    Valve 1, way out of alignment
    Valve 2, way out of alignment
    Valve 3 (didn't bother to check by this point)
    Air leak at tuning slide water key.

My teacher showed me an interesting trick: he got me to play his horn (Bach Strad) with my mouthpiece: low C, G, then a higher C – all clear, easy, etc. Then he asked me to put my mouthpiece back in my horn and play the higher C. I couldn't find that sucker anywhere.

Worth fixing? Doubt it. That's brand new straight out of the box. I'll take my money back (or demand it back) and walk away and try again when I get my nerve back. Two Jupiters, two duds. I'm happy to accept a one-off issue but not two, no thanks.

Thanks for all your help and advice folks. I'll be back soon with a new horn, I hope.

Matt.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Go get a Getzen!!

5. Aussie Matt

Oct 12, 2010
    Would if I could. Only one shop in the country (Australia) brings them in. They're in Melbourne, I'm 1000km away in Sydney. If I could actually test drive one and be 100% sure it would be perfect, I'd consider buying online. But considering I've never seen one, let alone played one, it's too big a risk for me. Tempted though, with the amount of praise they get from you guys on TM.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    :-(:-(

7. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    When Don Hobbs (Eltham Woodwind and Brass) was importing Getzen, he supplied a lot into the ACT school system. I would imagine there should be some used ones kicking around Sydney by now.

8. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Yes,
    Eltham Woodwind & Brass still import Getzen; I got a new case for a 900H recently.

My contact was John. email: [email protected]
    38 Kent Hughes Rd, Eltham South, VIC 3095
    (03) 9439 9583

Sorry about the Jup, that's a poor run. Poor quality, they will be suffering.

Not too many Getzens floating around, but Bach Strads are cheap off Ebay, plenty under USD$900 on Ebay, so avoids import taxes.

Check Ebay for good deals. Also go direct (Getzen,Bach) for a sale as long as you can get it under 1000 bucks. The Aussie dollar has never been this strong. I would also say that horns will drop in price in USA due to economy, so deals to be had on second hand horns as well.
    Lucky Matt

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The best news out of this mess is: "It wasn't you!" Another horn can always be found, but not always a player that wants to play.

10. Aussie Matt

Oct 12, 2010