Is it me or the horn? Help needed

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Aussie Matt, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Aussie Matt

Aussie Matt Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2010
    That's good to know Ivan. I'll search around and see if any appear. Which Getzen would you recommend (anyone else can chime in here too)? I play mainly classical with my teacher, am working on my Grade 5 Trinity exam, but plan on playing at church mostly, occasional hymn but mainly modern guitar-based tunes. I'm sure I'd be happy with a Capri but if I can go one step up, perhaps that's the way.
    I've never heard a bad thing about Getzen and if I was to take the risk and buy sight unseen (and unheard) I reckon that would be the only brand I'd consider (as long as there was a good return policy!).
    Matt.

2. Aussie Matt

Oct 12, 2010
    Yes Ed, I feel somewhat vindicated but still very frustrated as I've hardly been able to practice for the past two months, and now I am back at square one again. Keen to get back on track and move forward.

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    What's it cost to ship the to Austraillia anyway? It seems to me you could buy a 300 from the states pretty cheap and if you don't like it (which isnt't likely) sell it off .. yo umight be the only Aussie with a Getzen for miles... people might even come from miles around just to see it... heck, you could set up a pay to play booth ... $5 for 5 minutes.
    but I am glad it isn't you.. and it really is the pits to buy something and have it be a bust.
    I had to read 8 pages to find out what happened here ...

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    one more comment... you might consider a Jaeger ... ask Trumpetsplus here on the forum.. he makes them.. a pro horn for around $1,000 US Dollars
    Trumpets
    Ivan was the member who warned against using compressed air in the horns by the way.

5. Aussie Matt

Oct 12, 2010
    Cheers Dave,
    I'm thinking a 590 Capri might be a safe bet. But then, I've played horns I thought I'd love and found them not to my liking. It's a big risk. Shipping is about $60 from some of the chain stores, so I can use that as a benchmark.

I'll be taking the Jupiter back to the shop on my way to work tomorrow. The owner wants to have a good look at it. Something tells me he doesn't like the idea of a refund but if I'm not taking a third try at a Jupiter.

Sorry it took 8 pages. The support has been great—and I learnt a lot about compressed air too. I guess no one likes the idea of getting stuck with a dud trumpet.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    +1 for the LB Severinsen .... It looks like it's in great shape and even has a 1st slide trigger.

Turtle

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    It has a pending offer!! :-( Only way to get it now is to offer something close to or actually buy it now price. I loooove my Severinsen (even though the dealer screwed up the valves, they're getting better). If I had a grand laying around, it would be mine!! BWAAAHAHAHHA!!

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    If you get a good deal on a used horn you can usually recoup your losses... sometimes even make some money on them .. the 8 pages were fun and informative .. good luck

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Matt, don't worry about 8 pages. Thats NOTHING!! Look at some of the mpc threads!! They look like doctoral dissertations with lots of "lively" discussion. I actually ran a guy off (not intentionally) when I called him on the carpet for his ignorant and outrageous statements about a particular mpc.. He hasn't been seen or heard from since. I do miss him cause he always caused entertaining interaction with his "cut and paste" replies. If you are going to "cut and paste", at least give the author credit!! Now go get a Getzen!!:lol::lol: