Is it me or the horn? Help needed

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Aussie Matt, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Aussie Matt

Aussie Matt Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2010
    Quick update. The store is giving me my money back and I am going to keep playing my Martin Magna for a while. I only moved away from the Martin on the advice of my former teacher who thought its medium bore would hold me back. Now that I've been playing it again for a few weeks, I've never sounded better (read: smoother!) and I'm loving it. My new teacher didn't realise I had it and when I showed up for my lesson last night he was wondering why I'd bothered with the Jupiter in the first place. He strongly suggested I just play the Martin and enjoy it. Think I will!

2. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Play and enjoy is exactly what it is all about. Excellent outcome!

3. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Back to the original OP. 2 checks: 1) Try another horn 2) Have someone else try your horn (the one where you are experiencing the problem). From the results you can figure out the proper answer.

4. Aussie Matt

Aussie Matt Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2010
    Thanks Steve. Yep, I got my teacher to play it and it was all over the place. I played his for comparison and it was chalk and cheese. I took it back to the shop and went back to playing my old horn and life got a lot easier. The shop, mind you, argued for a while but in the end decided it might be wiser to keep a customer happy who plays trumpet, guitar and drums; whose wife is a piano playing music teacher; and who has a trombone/piano playing son and a piano playing daughter who wants to take up clarinet.

Cheers,
    Matt.

5. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Glad to hear you learned it wasn't you. Don't give up on a new horn if you really want an upgrade. There are plenty of folks hear that would be glad to help you find one. Good to hear the music company made the right decision in the end.

6. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    I like Dave and Peter's advise. Check the water keys for the corks sealing since it's so easy........just press the corks on the holes with your other hand...then look elsewhere for air leaks. That being said...10+ years ago Jupiters were notorious for hit and miss manufacturing ( no quality control ). If it wasn't a Jupiter, I wouldn't suspect horn to horn variation in an older Jupiter. I love the new Jupiters by the way 1000's or 1600's. Statistical facts for any cause tell us that over 95% of a " problem " is due to a single cause. 80% probability that the cause is a combination of 2 causes....and less than 1% probability that the cause is a combination of 3 root causes. So, It's probably 1 thing. Is it the horn OR you? I have spent a paragraph NOT answering your question...thinking I have a career in politics.