Is it normal...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hey_Pauly, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Hey_Pauly

Hey_Pauly New Friend

Dec 17, 2010
    For your lip to tingle after playing?

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Yup!

3. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    It could mean that you're on the border of over training. I've had it happen a few times the past 48 years on the horn. Each time corresponded to some kind of heavy session. When in doubt? Take a day off.

Actually one of the main advantages of shallow or smaller mouthpiece selection and expertise is the ability to meet one's playing expectations without hurting the chops.

Be careful though. If over training is a tendency you have you'll just carry that habit on over to the shallower mouthpiece.

In fact the only time I ever drew blood on my lip was while using a shallow mouthpiece. It wasn't because the piece was harsh. It was super soft edged. I had however just carried on my over training habit over to the newer mouthpiece. But that was 35 years ago.

These days I'm almost never "spent" at the end of any gig. Thanks to discipline and shallow mouthpieces when and where they fit in the music.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Yes also!

5. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Its just one more perk for being a trumpet player, the best hobby/profession/obsession/adiction/whatever swear word you want to insert here/. Best wishes.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The tingle is just a sign that you haven't used so much pressure that the lip tissue died. Keep doing what you are doing. After a while, you won't notice the tingling because your face muscles will be really sore. After practicing even more, your whole body could hurt - covering up the face pain. Once you get beyond that, YOU start answering the questions here!

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    and with that, we really feel your pain, Rowuk! Now MY body hurts; I am an empath!

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Yeah, that pain eventually wanders to where the sun doesn't shine...................

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I believe you could also read this advice as it applies to kissing. Not too much of a distraction from the root themes of this thread, I mean WE ARE TRUMPET PLAYERS!

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Not if you frequent Orient Beach on Sint Maarten!