Is it possible to get to a level of playing to the point where your chops never tire?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ablstem, Apr 18, 2014.

1. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Re: Is it possible to get to a level of playing to the point where your chops never t

Woodshedding to get an audition with the Flecktones, are you? :D

Off topic, but here's a good study in how wind players can fit into a bluegrass (fusion) context. Absolutely awesome.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRK7-SIAbtQ

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Re: Is it possible to get to a level of playing to the point where your chops never t

Relaxation, letting our tongue "melt in our mouth" is the key to clean, almost tireless multiple tonguing.

3. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe

Pro players never tire? Just look at any pic of Dizzy and you'll be cured of that misconception...

4. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT

I suppose you'd have to be God to get to the point where you never tire. Never, ever, ever.

5. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011

Hi Barliman,
    You stated:
    "Pro players never tire? Just look at any pic of Dizzy and you'll be cured of that misconception."
    ---
    I wouldn't put Dizzy at the head of the pack when it came to proper mechanics. Mendez? Yes. Dizzy? No.
    Now don't get me wrong, I really like Dizzy and one of my favorite recording is Roy & Diz but Diz, wasn't (just like Miles) a great proponent of proper mechanics. I wouldn't use either of them as examples of how to play the trumpet. However, I would use them as examples of creating some of the highest forms of emotive trumpet playing man has ever heard.
    Dr.Mark

6. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011

Hi mchs,
    You stated:
    "I suppose you'd have to be God to get to the point where you never tire."
    ---
    I don't disagree and do not wish to anger the Gods. However, when we approach it from a mortal perspective, some people can play all day long. How do they do it? They know how to use proper mechanics and conservation.
    Dr.Mark

7. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011

Hi kehaulani,
    You stated:
    "Woodshedding to get an audition with the Flecktones,"
    ---
    Man that takes me back!! I use to jam to Bela Fleck and the Flecktones back when I was first getting into this form of music. I can't remember the name of the CD but if memory serves me correctly, the CD had a cartoon bicycle on it. I mentioneed Nickel Creek. The song I'm currently working on that I want to have up and running in a couple of weeks is Tom Bombadil. The fiddle and mandolin come out of the shoot like race horses. It's a great piece and I can't wait till I get it down.
    Dr.Mark