Is it possible to....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by john7401, Nov 13, 2009.

1. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    play with an upstream embochure placing the mouthpiece so high on your face that you are just barely getting all the red in from the bottom lip? Should this be a concern if you do?

Also I found myself during my "quiet" practice today potruding my lower jaw out into an underbite while playing. Should I be concerned about this? I don't normally play this way, but it seemed to sneak in the more I played or something.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    John, you should not be concerned about any of this stuff.
    You are on the best road to totally wasting your face. Just try being "ordinary". The benefits are great and results generally predictable.
    Make an "M" with your lips, place the mouthpiece so that all of the red is inside the cup. Then Blow!

3. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    I also noticed that if I do the pencil excercise excessively I get the lower jaw coming out for more support :/

I do keep all the red in there except for when I'm done practicing there is the tiniest sliver on the very bottom of the bottom lip that is not shown in the ring.

I wasn't trying to change anything or try out new things with my jaw or lips or anything. I was just wondering why it felt like it changed from a slight overbite in my playing to an underbite with about a 1inch difference for no reason. It was very late into the practice that I noticed it and then once I did I was able to get it back into its normal position.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  4. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    John,
    the jaw coming out has nothing to do with the pencil. It is merely something else that you are doing wrong because you have no qualified supervision.
    My 4th and 5th grade students can hold the pencil for a minute with the standard embouchure. After a minute even my face muscles start to quiver. The jaw NEVER moves.

5. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    so what do I do to fix it? And I never noticed this problem before today :(

*by that I mean I don't think I've had this problem before today.*

6. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Look in the mirror and put the trumpet in the most centered position and play.

7. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Get qualified local help. You haven't listened to any of the other posts that could have helped you. All of the info is here - spoon fed.

Success is measured in weeks, months and years. You have been messing around for 4 or 5 years. You keep posting about new things that you are trying out with NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE DOING. That is why I am convinced that you will not ever get this sorted out alone. I have no solution for stubborn and illogical.

8. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    I have only one person who may have qualified help. I'm not sure if even he has it. Can you refeer me to anyone who does online lessons that you think could have this? Someone that I can afford being an average american?

I haven't been on this forum for more than a 1/2 a year...you told me all the info I needed was "spoon-fed". Is it to late to go back through all my posts and start solving everything and working on the advice given to me 1-2 at a time?

Now pleased don't get mad at me for asking this, and please don't ignore the rest of what I wrote because of this, but at this point if I did get a competent teacher, at this point aren't I so screwed up that it might just be better for me to get an embochure change/remake instead of trying to repair all of the wrongdoings with my playing now? Please please don't hate me or start ignoring me for asking this one question. I feel like your about to give up on me and I don't want that. You said it would take a year to maybe not get as good as you were before with an embochure change, but you also said it would take 2 years to repair mine now...

Apparently endless hours of practice don't get you anywhere when you don't know how to properly play an instrument and have a mindset prepared for failure becuase of the situation your in.

"Practice doesn't make perfect, only precise practice truely makes perfect"

It doesn't help when you don't even know how screwed up you are anyway.

I wanted trumpet playing to be my life as of a year ago and I've done absolutely everything wrong to try to get there. All I can see now is either paying insane ammounts for REAL private lessons or just giving up. I dug myself into an endless abyss by not taking this seriously back in 6th grade. Back then I didn't plan on playing the trumpet forever. I just tried to do what my band teachers tought me and went with it. I was pretty much always 1st chair anyway and didn't have any motivation to get better.

At this point I'm really having to consider quiting just because of the financial costs it would take for truely good lessons to repair my playing...

9. sj3209

sj3209 Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    Amador County, Calif.
    Please answer these questions:

1. Where do you live?
    2. How old are you?
    3. What is your playing experience?
    4. How much time do you have to devote to practice?

Answer those questions and take a deep breath.

10. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    1. Around the Pataskala/Granville area of Ohio.
    2. 15
    3. Played starting in 6th grade. Never really had formal training. Was pretty much 1st chair and definitely first trumpet till high school when I got 3rd part in Jazz band. 2 Seniors left and this year, (2nd year of high school) I've been 1st trumpet.
    4. Now that marching season is over I could probably get 3 hours a day in easily as long as my dad isnt working from home and on the phone with meetings for it all day. I could probably go more some days and especially weekends.