Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Blazing Asian, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Blazing Asian

Blazing Asian Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2006
    Is it possible to make a working piston or rotary trumpet completely out of pvc pipes? This is something I want to do but before I do, is it possible at all? My main concerns are the valves and if they will properly make the sound change just like a real trumpet. I realize that they will sound completely different, but I wish to be able to produce a quality sound and be able to actually play songs.

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    How will you make the valves? Will you salvage them from a scrap rotary?
    PVC resonates, but it won't have nearly the brilliant quality a trumpet has. Getting PVC in proper sizes for a trumpet will be hard. Also making a bell flare out of PVC will require some skills.

3. Blazing Asian

Nov 10, 2006
    The bell flare I well make from an existing funnel shape of something. Valves are a problem that I face. My goal is to make them out of pvc using my trumpet valves are model. All comes to fail, I could just make a bugle. Would rotary valves be easier than piston valves?

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Not trying to win an Eclipse, by any chance, are you? Piston valves should be easier to make because they can be hollow. Rotaries can't. Careful when heating the PVC -- it does produce toxic fumes. The PVC, sanded and stained, will look like wood.

5. Blazing Asian

Nov 10, 2006
    No this is not for the eclipse, this is for a physics protect next year and I am trying to start some trials to perfect my instrument. Heat the pvc? What part requires that?

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Why not build a Hoseaphone and pretend you invented it? You could demonstrate the doppler effect at the same time.

A PVC trumpet sounds like something Blue Man Group would come up with.

Edit:... HEY! How about some copper tubing and you could solder in some 90 degree, 4 port valves. Then you could have a fully function trumpet! (although it would be a "rotary")

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Bending the tubing for crooks, for example, or for shaping the bell, or for any tapers you want to put in the tubing. What part of the physics of the trumpet are you trying to represent -- fluid dynamics, or accoustics?

8. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    I worked in plastics for a number of years. A couple of hints working with PVC pipe.

As the pipe is heated it gets rather rubbery, so have a way to hold it in the desired position until it cools.

Filling the pipe with sand before heating will allow you to achieve a smooth bend without kinking and maintain a relatively round inside diameter.

PVC stands for "polyvinyl chloride", so getting it too hot can potentially release chlorine gas (very nasty). Make sure you have good ventilation. If it's smoking you have it way too hot.

I had a customer years ago that made outdoor furniture from PVC pipe. It was amazing the different shapes he could get with it.

Good luck and have fun.

Steve

9. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    Who knows until you try?Go for it.

Michael McLaughlin

Of all noises, I think music is the least disagreeable.
    Samuel Johnson

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think if you were to build them from scratch, the rotary valves would be a bit easier - especially to get the holes lined up.
    If you glue a headphone speaker to an old mouthpiece, you can get the instrument to sound!