Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Blazing Asian, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Blazing Asian

Blazing Asian Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2006
    Many are saying to use old valves or something or a mouthpiece or what have you but the thing is, is that it has to be completely made no part can be from an existing instrument. You can replicate an instrument however you can not use parts from it.

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    You could make a cornetto or a serpent much easier than a trumpet. Those are tubes with holes in them that are buzzed into.

3. trumpet520

trumpet520 Pianissimo User

Oct 25, 2006
    Oklahoma
    now i wanna make a trumpet out of PVC

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
  5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have some ideas for rotary valves out of PVC that are not tough to build. I think that you could do it. You need to be able to saw, file and glue reasonably well. Do not expect them to move like greased lightning!

6. Blazing Asian

Blazing Asian Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2006
    Could I please hear those ideas?

7. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    You mentioned in one of the posts this was for a physics project? I presently teach high school chemistry and my physics buddies are intrigued by the idea.

May I make a suggestion for the valves? You could possibly make some valves with plaster of paris. Once you have your valve housing, you can wipe the inside with some ivory soap thinned with water (this will act as a mold release) and pour plaster directly into it. The plaster will shrink slightly, and once the plaster has fully cured (I'd give it overnight) it should not take much effort to remove the plaster. You would then have a nice fitting cylinder from which to make your valves.

If you want to get really involved, you could have the tubes running to your valve housing, then put a cylinder of wax running between the tubes inside the valve housing. You then cast the plaster inside the valve housing and around the wax. Once the plaster is cured you can warm it slightly to soften the wax and remove your "cast" valves. This would eliminate the problem of trying to bore holes in the cured plaster.

Drawbacks: Plaster is heavy, so your response would be slow or your would need some pretty heavy springs. Cured plaster is porous and will absorb water, but you could minimize that by applying paste wax to them after they are cured.

That's my 2 cents. Shoot me a private message if you'd like any additional information, I'd be glad to help.

Steve