Is it possible

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Mar 12, 2016.

1. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Is it possible or has anyone played or is it important to play the complete Arban or is it a method / reference book " Bible ".Just wondering ? Anthony

2. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    The Arban book has become the key practice book for trumpet players. Everyone uses it. Of course, they may also use other books, but Arban has become the overarching standard. Yes, there are many players that have played pretty much the entire Arbans over their career. However, keep in mind that using it is somewhat like the Bible or encyclopedia in that people rarely start at page 1 and play in order to the end. Each of the sections tend to progress from easy to more difficult so most teachers have their students working on a few exercises that meet their playing level in each section.

3. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I have always believe that playing completely through the Arban's is a laudable goal for every trumpet player. A goal that I have attempted, but never succeeded in accomplishing. I guarantee you that if you do accomplish it you will be a very skilled trumpet player. I have never succeeded in playing everything I have attempted up to tempo. Maybe I have reached my physical limitations, maybe I have just given up--not really sure, but what I have learned has benefited me greatly. I believe most instructors use selected portions of the Arban's, just as mine did; but it was designed as a complete method book. And that, I believe is its greatest strength--if you have the determination to master it to the best of your ability. Of course I'm an old guy, what do I know.

4. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    NJ h
    Hi Amzi thanks for helping me out with the mute cork solution. I don't
    think age has anything to do with it ,look at Doc Severinson 85 and still playing and Clarke Terry played up into 90 yr.

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    But is Arbans also like the Bible, where many people quote from it, but few have read it? :cool:

Back to the OP's question ... I've never worked through Arbans cover-to-cover. I used other methods with most of my teachers, and only used the Arbans with one teacher back in college. As a result, Arbans has been more of a reference, where I might work through a particular section depending on my current goals.

Mike

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is possible, it is desirable but unlike the Bible it is not complete. The extreme upper register for instance is ignored as is natural trumpet playing.

Remember it is a conservatory method and was designed for accomplishment in 4 to 6 years. If it takes longer then we obviously are not "conservatory material"...;-)

7. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    My comparison with the Bible was just for the analogy of not being designed to read from front to back cover. Can you do it? Yes, but that would be the least effective method. The Bible has has different types of literature- poems, proverbs, laws, etc. just like Arbans has different sections. Yet analogies only go so far and then they cease to be accurate or useful. Rowuk makes a good point about it being a conservatory method. It has sections on long tones, scales, tonguing, slurring, phrasing, duets, etc. Are there other books that have something similar. Yes, but you get the entire package in Arbans. Of course it doesn't contain absolutely "everything." Not much on big band or improvisation, or playing above high C. Still about the most complete book out there.

8. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Thank you everyone for your comments very interesting and helpful .Anthony

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    It is my observation that not many, if any, U.S. College/Universities include Arban's in any their instrumental music syllabus or sell such in their bookstores. It certainly wasn't in use or available where I attended, but then the instrumental music / band director was an accomplished oboist. Methinks the mindset of the "Conservatory" program, especially in the era of Arban, was one on one to enable a cornet soloist, or simplest a tutor of one as opposed to the current trend of schools/colleges/universities with teachers of many simultaneously.

At no time has a normal Bb trumpet/cornet been manufactured to produce notes in the upper register that some aspire to play on them today. The published scores that contain such are usually designated for other orchestral instruments.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Ed,

maybe during Arbans' time there was not the focus, but if we look what was composed even a half generation after Arban - Mahler (high concert Eb in the 8th Symphony - 1907), Strauss (high concert Ds in the Alpine Symphony - 1911), Stravinsky (high concert D in the Rite of Spring - 1896) and even Herbert Clarke with his cornet solos wrote, we do have quite a few notes up to F and G above high C (for a Bb). It could almost be considered "standard" range for a principle trumpeter. I am sure that if I think long enough, I can find even earlier examples.

Stravinsky even writes for a "piccolo Trumpet in D". Certainly in line with the standard F Trumpet and High Bb Trumpet (our standard instrument today).

Scream trumpet like in half time shows and jazz ensembles is a newer creation and the instrument makers certainly have focussed on this anomaly.