Is it the reverse leadpipe or the back set brace

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Nov 23, 2011.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    just a random question
    I have heard the reverse leadpipe is freer blowing but when you have a reverse leadpipe the bell brace is set back closer to the valve block. I think that the brace might actually have more effect on how the horn feels.
    Your thoughts?

2. Pete

Pete Piano User

Nov 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    It is the brace. The inside taper of the leadpipe would affect the feel also. The reverse leadpipe has a minimal effect on the actual response of the horn in my opinion.

Pete

3. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I think the same. The reverse leadpipe gives the horn very little resistance, since they put the brace farther back it allows the bell to ring therefor giving a different sound.

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I think the brace placement has more to do with it than the reversed tube. I used to have a 1950's Olds Ambassador that I used for big band. Among other things, I had the last bell brace removed, and it really opened the horn up.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is science, not opinion. It is not freer blowing, the player simply hears themselves better because the bell is braced further back.

6. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US

Rowuk, I respect your opinion a lot, I am not trying to prove you wrong.

I think that reversed leadpipes are freer blowing because they have less resistance. The brace also plays a big role in the sound.
    The reversed leadpipe stats from the Bach Loyalist reads:

The 25LR leadpipe: Reversed construction, longer form of 25 with less resistance. Because it's reversed, its overall longer. Is is said to give little resistance, but alot players hate LR pipes.
    the 43LR leadpipe: Reversed construction, longer form of 43 with less resistance. Like the 25 LR but has even less resistance.

7. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    After reading these comments, I think I'll start designing " accoustic brace dampeners " . Nahhhh...forgive me....I'll just stick to the lottery.

8. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Cody believe ANYTHING that you want. If you need to believe ad copy, do it. I have tested all of this stuff and discovered first hand what I post.

My research shows the resistance argument as pure BS. The pressure resistance is determined by the smallest diameter - which is found at the mouthpiece (or even better, the aperature for strong players). The AC resistance is in fact determined by the "leakage" in the resonant system, which is at the bell. What the player "feels" is mostly what they hear. I have proven this many times over by simply giving the players earplugs and gloves so they do not "hear" or "feel" the horn. Then they discover that there is little to no difference in the reverse/standard comparison.

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Robin,
    Does the set back bell brace"loosen up" the horn? My verbage for getting more sizzle.

10. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I find that the reversed setup "distorts" earlier. Depending on the specific bell/leadpipe/material, that could be more sizzle.