Is it the reverse leadpipe or the back set brace

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Nov 23, 2011.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    thank you sir

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    The brace removed lets the bell vibrate more freely, which will give more response to you as a player, but at the sacrifice of a little projection to the audience. The vibration gets lost at the player's point rather than being sent out to the audience.

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I wonder if that's why the shaped the Commitees bell the way they did

4. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    The shape of the Committee bell emphasizes spread over projection. Strong players can project on a Committee, just as strong players can on nearly any trumpet. I choose not to use my Committee for loud gigs, because I have more efficient tools for those settings.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The horn is the sum of its parts. The bell shape alone says nothing. The Committee bell is matched to the rest of its concept.

6. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Some braces are to damp, others transmit vibrations to another part of the horn. Leveraging that difference has better odds than the lottery.

7. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    The reverse lead pipe set up is cheaper to manufacture.

8. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Seriously, I didn't know that. It doesn't reflect that in the purchase price of most horns though.

9. Gilligan

Gilligan Pianissimo User

Aug 3, 2004
    Colorado Springs, USA
    I'm a tuba player who doubles on trumpet for fun. When we have to drop down into our petal tone range, we start using our extra 4th and 5th valves. When we do this we start to experience large amounts of resistance or what feel like back pressure to the air flow. This would be in reverse of what Bach is representing in their ad copy. Also for a tuba player to feel this resistance we are adding 18" or more of length to the horn. I doubt that the slight change in length of the lead pipe found in a reversed lead pipe would cause a noticeable change in feel.

Another though...

Sound does not travel with the air flow through the horn. I watched a smoker who played tuba demonstrate this by playing while exhaling his smoke through the horn. It took several minutes for the smoke to start exiting the horn after he started playing. Air flow is used in the production of our buzz only. The resistance felt is from our need to make the volume of air in the horn move so we can produce our buzz.