Is it true that the o-rings used to silence slide movement effect the sound?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpeter345, May 30, 2011.

1. trumpeter345

trumpeter345 New Friend

May 30, 2011
    If so, couldn't you put the o-rings on all the slides (except for tuning) and move the tuning slide in just a bit?

I was searching around and I couldn't find an answer to either of my questions.

2. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    I dont think its that exacting of a science. You, your lip and the air collumn you use are all varriables that affect tuning more than that minute slide difference. Im not saying that it has no effect, just that it is music for petes sake. Just like wood grain, and snow flakes, the inexact naturally flawed indiviaullity of it is what gives it soul and life. I suppose someone could measure and work out the changes in tubing lengths and negate the addition of the O-rings but that would take away time from practice and other necessities in life that it wouldnt be worth the trouble. Good question though, best wishes.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    We're players, not material analysts or acoustic engineeers. Our horns and accessories work for us or we get others that will. On some horns I like an O ring, especially if I were to use a bell mounted mic (which I don't like). Some like the "Mods" and some don't. What others do, usually doesn't change my set-up.

4. RichJ

RichJ Piano User

Jan 16, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Everything effects the way the horn plays/sounds. Bob Malone mentioned at ITG this past week that the water key cork material and the tension on the water key matter and need to be used as a means of adjusting the horn to suit the individual player's tastes. As far as tuning, the o-rings on the slides are not going to affect the open fingered notes, so the tuning slide cannot be moved to adjust for extra length in the slides.

5. stevesf

stevesf Piano User

Jun 23, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    I've been using O-rings on my 1st and 3rd slides for years now. Helps keep slides from freezing and easier to throw.Also dampens click noise on return throw. There are no significant effects in tuning or sound quality in my opinion. (we are only talking about an additional 16th of an inch at most)
    I am not disagreeing with Bob Malone (hell he is a fabulous horn designer/engineer). Sure it probably alters the sound a little but I feel for me the benefits out weigh whatever minute drawbacks there might be.

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Man, some people will obsess about anything. No matter how small. I think I can lip an extra 1/16th into tune. O-rings are designed to cut out the wonderfully musical "clanking" sound on the return of the 1st and 3rd slides (IF they ever get used). I can hear it now,"That sonata would have sounded SO much better if those tone dampening o-rings hadn't been used"!ROFLROFL

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think that there are more significant potential problems than o rings.

My Monette has them only on the bottom valve caps. There is a big difference when I remove them. It is not like I am going to start cracking notes or that it sounds like crap. It is more like the notes not "clicking in" as well. Most of my students can't tell the difference.

As far as the o-ring on the slides, I don't have trouble with clanking, clicking or sticking, so I'll just leave them off and not worry about it. There is enough serious stuff that keeps me occupied.

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    This sort of fits with a thought I had today ... think about the effect your hands have on the horn. IF we squeeze the valve casing ..it has to effect the horn.. right? So think about what has more effect a rubber o-ring that will get squeezed down to a few millemeters in diameter compared to the grip we use on the horn.
    yikes .. too much to think about... and probably too much to be aware of as well

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Dave, you need to get that "hand squeezin'" compensating valve oil!ROFL

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I asked Renold Schilke that once. I got a nice lesson on holding the trumpet to sense the vibration instead of dampening it. I read somewhere that Schilke was absolutely fanatic about tight valves - so tight that they would stick if gripped too hard. Supposedly the employees just made them less tight without telling Renold. That kept the complaints down.