Is it true that the o-rings used to silence slide movement effect the sound?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpeter345, May 30, 2011.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    oh no -- my King Silver Flair has been missing an "O" ring on the third valve slide for the last 6 months -- I've been contemplating how this affects the balance of the horn (that side being lighter now), and also where the "O" ring actually went to when it fell off. but I like the balance of the horn now that it is a bit lighter -- perhaps I should take the other "O" ring off the 3rd valve slide -- Maybe not!!, then I might have to take in all those effects and then worry about adding a "dime" to the bottom cap of the 2nd valve to offset this change in weight. MMMMMMMM.. now I am curious as to what "O" rings are made of --- and who actually thought of this ingenious idea -- and the list goes on - ROFL, ROFL --- and to think the OP had a serious question and I make fun of that - shame on me ROFL

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    KT,
    the O ring on my Monette Prana valve caps does make a difference. Very easy to demonstrate. Not reproducable on my Bach 229 CL or previous 72*. I tried a Monette cap on my Getzen 4 valved flugel - I'll keep the results for myself - for now.

By the way, You would have to drill a hole in the dime for it to work correctly. The weight is selectively coupled to the valve block with O rings. They are soft rubber.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    *********my apologies to trumpeter345 the OP************
    anyways my King doesn't seem to suffer any ill effects at all
    ------by golly ----- I didn't realize I was supposed to drill a hole in a perfectly good dime, no wonder when I try to "pimp" my horn with all the ideas here on TM, it never seems to work.

ps. oh no -- kingtrumpet is like Rush Limbaugh now -- only 99.4% correct, no wonder I can't find an agent -- I'm difficult to get along with!! ROFL

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  4. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

For what its worth, I find the D and Dbs in the staff are more in tune without the rubber o-rings on the 1st valve slide, but doesn't matter for the 3rd (and I appreciate the less noise)

5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I don't think the rings on the slide will change anything except make them a little quieter.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    +1000% and thats their purpose.

7. CaptainAddy

CaptainAddy Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2010
    Camden County, GA
    Robin... is that the kind of thing that Dave is always talking about, how production horns could be so much better if they just changed a few things, with little to no cost change to them? I'm dying over here!

8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    When I'm able to play an instrument at 100% of its capacity, and I feel it's holding me back, then I'll start looking for a better horn or worrying about o-rings and such...until then, I know some dedicated practice on my weak points will do a lot more good.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    :bravo::bravo::bravo: Here's to that sage advice.

10. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    While practising is good advice, it's not the point of the thread. There have been a lot of threads about making a horn better or just practise more. Where do you draw the line on how good a trumpet can be?