Is it true that the o-rings used to silence slide movement effect the sound?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpeter345, May 30, 2011.

1. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Here's the best setup I've seen, on old Conns. The rod on the slide is made so that an adjuster nut goes on each side of the stop. A tiny o-ring stops the slide on opening and closing, so there are no o-rings on the slide itself, and no noise either.

[​IMG]

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    wow - that is a cool idea

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    No doubt such works to quell the nuisance "click" when properly adjusted to the players throw and slide return, but doesn't all that structure affect pitch / tone moreso than a minimal O ring and would be more expensive to install. Too, exposed threads always seem to me to be grime catchers.

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    My horns don't get too grimy, so the exposed threads are OK...:D

As for the parts affecting the tone or pitch of the instrument, if you played this cornet, you would be hard pressed to imagine it playing any better than it already does. I'm thinking of modding the stop rods on my Bachs to work this way, too - it should be pretty easy to do.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Knowing who you are by what I read, I've little doubt that you maintain your instruments at near pristine condition, but that doesn't speak for most others. Too, I'm assuming the instruments you play are pro quality as again doesn't speak for most others (including most of mine).

Now all you need is a bellows sleeve over your exposed threads:-?.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If the horn was designed with the hardware, then the chances are good that whatever effect it could have is compensated for elsewhere. Back in those days, the horns were not built with trancendental factors calculated in. The manufacturers just expected the player to practice more to get the most out........