Is it wrong?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rainbowboy023, Mar 9, 2011.

1. rainbowboy023

rainbowboy023 Pianissimo User

Feb 15, 2011
    Australia
    Recently, I won a spot with a good amateur concert band that holds auditions when ever a spot opens up. I won the audition, but I'm a professional musician in both orchestral and jazz styles, I'm looking forward to playing in the group because I really love the sound of a good concert band, but at the same time feel bad about taking a spot from an amateur player, who probably doesn't get many other chances to play. So do you think that being a professional, I should just let the non professional play in the amateur group since I have plenty of other chances to play and perform?

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Ultimately it is a question for YOU to answer.

Most "amature" bands have many professional members.

If you being there will serve to help other members and you are willing to help and advise other members, I would stay in the band.

I am sure they are happy to have you.

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    If the band is a good one, and the other players (amateur or not) play near your level of proficiency, I'd say play in it and have a good time. If it's a so-so band and you're by far the best player in it, you may not want to play with them, anyway. I've always said I didn't want to play in any band that would have me on solo part...:D

4. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Dale, your modesty is truly annoying. What you meant to say is that you wouldn't want to play in a band that would have me doing a solo part. Right? (Remember we have seen you play). You're great.

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    You're very generous of my playing ability, but thank you for the kind words. We're always our own harshest critic, I suppose...;-)

Basically, what I was saying is, I want to play in groups that push me, playing difficult music and/or playing with players better than I am. That way, I maintain the desire to continue becomming a better player. The only exception to my "rule" is our church orchestra - I play there for a different reason.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    If you can contribute and be an asset, no. Otherwise , I think you'll end up not enjoying it so much.

7. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    If I were you I'd find out who'd get the spot if it wasn't you. You'd hate to give it up to another player at your level (and thus NOT be depriving a lesser player). But if that's not the case, I'd say do the honorable thing and let the lesser player have it. It's only a small gesture, but boy this world needs that kinda thing.

8. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    On the other hand, you can bring your experience as a professional to this organization and help the other players.

They want you - if they didn't, you would not have been chosen.

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Take that attitude to rehearsal. Be eager and willing, but not overbearing, in your offers to help guide the section and to play any part which is under-represented. Make sure the conductor knows you are flexible and want to serve the band any way he sees fit. Be positive and supportive of players with lesser skills and know that your presence will raise the bar for them - improvement always comes from playing with those who are better than we are.

10. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    I say that if you enjoy it...continue playing with them! I don't see a reason to stop doing something you really enjoy (that is if it's legal!) :)
    What kind of music are you guys going to be playing? (specific pieces that is)

Kujo