Is it wrong?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rainbowboy023, Mar 9, 2011.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think this is a good opportunity for all involved. You help make the experience for all involved better. As long as you don't hog all of the solos, you can be a role model - especially when it comes to modesty and humility. Amateur players simply play more controlled and predictably when a fine player is in the sections.

I also play in an amateur wind band. I fill in on the oboe part when they aren't there, horn with my flugelhorn when one of them can't make it. I think that you get the idea.

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    trumpet plus said:
    +1
    Enjoy it, and enjoy sharing your experience and talent!

3. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I would say play, but as others have pointed out be humbel and helpful [not to helpful]. When Big Bands were more plentiful and I was playing in 3 at the time [besides subbing in others] there was a good player around town who would sub quite a bit when the band he played in wasn't playing. 2 of the bands I played in used him once or twice but decided not to call him back because even though he was a fine player he would talk down to us. He constantly would bring up his band and say "this is the way to play this chart or this is how we need to do such and such". Just saying------

4. rainbowboy023

rainbowboy023 Pianissimo User

Feb 15, 2011
    Australia
    I've decided to take the spot, since their are 2 other concert bands in the area (although they aren't quite as good as this one) and I think I'll be able to help the players in the section.

By the way, we're playing Linconshire Posy along with Dedicatory Overture (one of my favorite band pieces) and a transcription of Mahler 5, seems like fun.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  5. jmberinger

jmberinger Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2007
    Long Beach, California
    The real question for me is who did you bump?

As an older comeback player, with no intention for playing professional, it is difficult to find places where I can perform. If I am competing against a professional for a place, and the understanding was I was suppose to be competing against non professionals, and I lose the opportunity I would be miffed.

Remember, I have limited time to practice and do not have the advantages of preparing that, as a professional, you enjoy.

By the same token, I currently play second is a community orchestra with a professional playing first. I learn something from her every rehearsal. I imagine it depends on what you give back to others in the group.

Perhaps the underlying question is "how would you feel if a non professional took your gig",..and did it for free?

6. rainbowboy023

rainbowboy023 Pianissimo User

Feb 15, 2011
    Australia
    I actually found out who it was that I bumped out, it turns out that the guy was actually high school band teacher, so I guess that puts my conciseness at ease especially because there are 3 other amateur ensembles in the area, 2 community bands, and a brass band.

7. Gliss Girl

Gliss Girl Pianissimo User

Aug 31, 2009
    Portland, MI
    It's not wrong at all! I play in a community band with a guy who played in the '80s with Ferguson's band for a time, and with other well known bands often written about here on TM. He's there because the director, now in his 70's, was his high school band director. What a great guy he is! He did not assume the automatic lead position - the woman who was there before does. She determines the part distribution and we mix it around. Of course with his great skill, there's always a feature number each year in our line-up for his fabulous lead playing. Generally, I know the music we play is far below his skill level. I have often wondered why he stays, especially when we get in a streak of especially easy numbers (even easy for me). I think the key is that he seems to care more about the relationships he has in the band and what he can to do contribute to it than what is in it for him as musical challenges. Yes, he goes out and picks up some pretty cool gigs now and then, but he always has us in the "home band" who like to hear his stories and love to hear him play with us every week. He has really taught me everything I know about the trumpet (I played French Horn before 2 1/2 years ago). If he wasn't in the band, I wouldn't be here on Trumpet Master, because I would not have had the encouragement necessary to become the trumpet geek I am today. If somebody else was there in his place, I'm sure I wouldn't have developed as I have, and the section would have been minus him, and included a worse me. So, please, stay in that band and share what you know. Don't worry about the guy who didn't get chosen. Make up for that by helping those who are there with you. This adds more than just the strength of yourself by improving others. Don't ask whether you've taken away from someone else, think of what you will give now that you're there.

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    You really aren't bumping anyone.. the director has that distinction.. :)
    just think of the motivation you will give to the band director to whip your butt at the next opportunity ... a very good thing
    There are tons of places to play if anyone wants to... and you might just bring in some really fine players who might not have given this group a look if it was mediocre.

9. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Our concert band has professional players in several sections. They really help hold up the level of play in those tricky sections. We all enjoy having high caliber players to help out. Of course, we don't have "slots" per se so nobody is pushed out. Those who can't keep up just sort of quit coming after a while.

10. stricd

stricd New Friend

Oct 19, 2010
    I am an amateur playing in an amateur band, and I really enjoy it when a pro plays with us. I always pick up something worthwhile, and it ups the ante for the whole section