Is language a factor?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Principaltrumpet, Jun 26, 2007.

1. tennis_the_menace

tennis_the_menace Pianissimo User

Jan 11, 2007
    Lansing, MI
    Wow, I am glad I decided to take French and not German.

2. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    That's what the problem is...I took Spanish in high school! Rats- foiled again :cool:

3. OdieLopez3

OdieLopez3 New Friend

Jan 21, 2007
    This is an interesting subject being discussed. Many of you have great things to say. To me it doesnt really matter, if I can practice and can get the job done in gigs without hesitation I'll be happy. If I have a doubt in my mind then I know something is wrong that I believe is in everyones mind. The mind sometimes likes to play tricks on us and make us believe a certain way about things. Its more of the person behind the horn, not the horn and not cuz of where the person is from. Everyone has a unique way of playing which is great but we cant let language be the fault of many problems. If I can learn from a german trumpet player and the german trumpet player can learn from me and my hispanic music culture then its all good in learning styles of where we're from. But where we're from and the music we play if the style fits use it and use it well.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2007
  4. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    Leon Merian said the same thing to me. French and English are both 2nd langguages to me. He did not emphasize this but he did say it several times

5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    By the time we are 3 years old (and usually sooner) we have learned where and how to shape the tongue and lips in relation to the teeth as well as the shapes of those individual mouth parts when we speak the sounds present in our native languages. Those learned behaviors present difficulties, sometimes enormous ones, when learning to speak another language and I fail to see why they would not present obstacles to learning to use the same components to play a wind instrument. Practice makes perfect, and everyone is presented with different challenges as they progress, so while for some there may be little or no problem because they speak English instead of French (or German or whatever), others might not adapt nearly as well.
    But where there is a will, there is a way, no? Greatness thrives on challenge.

6. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I speak 3 languages as many others TM members...Should I play Piccolo in french and B flat trumpet in american english? ROFL

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    No Nick,
    you started playing bulgarian and had to practice to get the rest. Your rest is different based on your language, dialect, habits.

I wonder if licking an ice cream cone would be good for my playing? It does lack a bit of coolness occasionally!

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Does cool playing imply a cool player? My impression is the opposite - cool playing is exuded by HOT players. So is hot playing. And language is no factor there. Flavor of ice cream may be.