Is leaving you trumpet on a stand all the time bad for the finish

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Jun 4, 2012.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I pretty much just play at home ( except for my practice horn which I use the case for). So, I just leave 3 or so horns sitting on my Hercules stand in the house. It's easier than breaking out the case everytime I want to practice ( lazy ..convenient.. take your pick). I was wondering if that makes the silver tarnish sooner. They really aren't in harms way as far as getting accidentally dinged so this is pretty much just talking about finish and if the bell sitting on a stand so much start to bend the bell from the weight of the horn.
    Remember real TM'ers flame gently

2. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    The only horn I've heard should not be put on a regular trumpet stand is a Monette trumpet due to its soft metal nature, so if that's correct then I imagine other similarly delicate trumpets shouldn't be kept on a stand either. I wouldn't include my Strad or Recording in that group.

As far as silver tarnishing goes, I think all else being equal greater air exposure will accelerate the tarnishing because there is a greater availability of sulphur compounds to react with the silver. I've had almost no tarnish on my silver Strad but then I wipe it down with a soft lint free cloth after every session before putting it away in its case.

In contrast, my wife has some silver jewelry which is frequently a little tarnished, and she keeps that on a shelf.

--bumblebee

coolerdave likes this.
  3. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    I'll be interested to read answers by all distinguished TMers who have had long experience in this respect : my Xeno remains on the stand at home almost all the time ...

4. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    my main horn is always on a stand, helps drain the moisture after playing. will say there are no kids in the house and I keep the door shut so that the dogs don't wander around in the room.

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Here's my answer ... from a not-so distinguished TMer. :D

My answer may depend on how many kids or pets you have around the house.

I'd be afraid of someone knocking it over. My horn is either in my hands or in my case at all times. I have a small ProTec case, which is fairly portable, making this habit of mine a bit easier to follow.

Mike

6. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I seldom leave any of mine sitting around my man-room outside their cases. This is more to protect them from my own clumsiness than anything else. Two curious little grandchildren will be visiting in a couple days. Their visits always create special challenges and opportunities, when it comes to my horns!:-)
    Jim

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    The answer is yes. My silver horns stay in their cases and they stay shiny. I don't have cases for my mpcs and they turn to a grey/black tint.

[/QUOTE=coolerdave;640420] They really aren't in harms way as far as getting accidentally dinged so this is pretty much just talking about finish and if the bell sitting on a stand so much start to bend the bell from the weight of the horn. Remember real TM'ers flame gently[/QUOTE]

Gravity is what it is, so I would think that over a period of time that it is a possibility depending on the horn's center of gravity. I would never leave my tilted bell on a stand, but my Ambassador is a different story. Taking off the finish will eventually happen. It's like using mutes only the pressure is amplified by the weight of the horn. you could try one of our sponsors sleeves to alleviate (maybe) this possibility.
    Also, what is wrong with the multi quote function??? CAN"T be me!!!:lol:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  8. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    In the hand, or in the case....

9. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Kudos to tobylou for actually answering coolerdave's question. :D

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    No, the stands hold up pretty well to the abuse they get from trumpets resting on them. Shouldn't be a problem.

Turtle