Is leaving you trumpet on a stand all the time bad for the finish

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Now that's funny!:lol:

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I used to leave my Kanstul 1525 flugel with its copper bell on a Hercules 3-prong stand, only to discover that the bell WAS deformed over time. The stand is fastened to a shelf so there is no danger of kicking it or knocking it over. I sometimes now leave a horn there for a day or two, but usually only during pracitce sessions, and put them away afterwards.

More often I have an in-bell stand on the floor in my practice area and I set a horn on it when I rest (when I work on the piano), but always put it away after I am finished.

But I would never again put a copper belled horn on any stand.

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Silver horns exposed to circulating air will tarnish much more quickly than horns in a closed case. Unless the bell is really thin or soft, leaving a horn on a stand for extended periods of time shouldn't harm it. The stand rest that touches the horn could cause discoloration of the finish over time, though, depending on what it's made of. The other concern would be people/kids/animals knocking the horns over, but it sounds like you don't have a problem with that. I keep my horns in their cases - the only exception is the old Besson cornet I recently bought. Since It doesn't have a case and it won't fit in any of my empty ones, it lays on top of a filing cabinet in the spare bedroom. I can already tell it's tarnishing...

4. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    The case to the trumpet : stand by me !
    In case you would not understand, I could not resist… :shhh:

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    whew..thanks Turtle .... that's a relief ...... I can only hope that I will be able repay this valuble advise to you in the future :)

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    The real question is, will leaving stands on the floor (with or without their parasitic horns) damage the floor? ;-)

[​IMG]

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I recycle my med Rx vials to hold my mpcs when not in use, and also recycle the dessicant packed with my aspirin and other such and toss in my vials also. seems it now takes years for my mpcs to tarnish, but somehow I also think the amber tint of my Rx vials enters the equation also.

Remember moisture usually contains the same impurities as air does. Still, without sulphur, silver oxididizes to grey - blackish alone in the presence of oxygen, sulphur stains silver with a tannish to brown coloration and the stain takes extra effort to diminish.

8. Trumpetmasta

Trumpetmasta Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2012
    Narnia
    weelllll in 5th grade I used to always have my trumpet on the stand, so I walked into band class one day after a very rushed morning and opened my case to find that it was empty. My mom got a very angry email home that day and I got into much trouble so my answer is no never in my life will i EVER use a stand all the time again.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I do not like playing instruments that are "dryed out". That is why it is always in a closed case or in my hands making music. On a stand, the moisture evaporates leaving the aerosols from our breath crusted on the inside of the tubes........ Even those SodaStreamer water carbonation maschines print on the bottle to never let them dry out - for the same reasons.

Dizzy had a perfect response to a question like this: Oops is too late............

10. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Well, it's time for me to change my habits !