Is leaving you trumpet on a stand all the time bad for the finish

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Jun 4, 2012.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Cleanliness next to godliness...........

A couple of years ago I had a gig after work. As my car is parked on a supervised lot, I left the horn in the trunk. It was a bright sunny day and when I came out in the afternoon, it was over 100° in the car. I drove to the gig and pulled the horn out of the case: bone dry, the valves (and Amado water key) baked shut. I used up almost a whole bottle of oil until everything was freed up............

Dry horns also play stuffy for me. Even if the leadpipe and tuning slide are swabbed out (I use a piece of Chamois cloth and fishing line for this), there is enough moisture in the horn to keep the blow "open" - unless some idiot leaves the horn in the trunk to bake.........

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    If you notice on the pic I posted of the two Hamilton stands, I covered the plastic "balls" that the bell rests on with a disc of chamois. Extra padding and no plastic contact with the bell.

Hey Doc, I don't leave those stands or my horns sitting out like that, so no chance of this Proctor needing a proctologist...:lol:

3. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    My horns are either in my hands or in their case, the only time I use a stand is in rehersal or at a gig and that is between my knees, if I have to leave my seat, the horn goes back in its case. I use a microfibre cloth to protece the finish.

I lent my pristine gold plated Olds Super cornet to a friend for a gig and it came back with an abraded ring inside the bell, I did not tell him, the last time I will lend it out.

Regards, Stuart.

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I tossed the stand out of the turtle shed and now rest the trumpet on my guitar amp. It's safer up there, in such a small space, and the stand doesn't take up valuable floor space. It can't go back in the case, because no instrument cases are allowed in the shed.

Turtle

5. jazzmetalrocknroll

jazzmetalrocknroll Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2012
    Rhode Island
    I keep it on the stand at home. I put it in the case before I got to bed every night, to keep the finish from tarnishing. But I like to keep it on the stand to dry out after practicing. My brother leaves his penzel mueller clarinet on the stand to do the same. But he keeps it in the case a lot, particularily when it gets humid and wet. The only thing to worry about is to keep it out of the way so it wont get knocked over.

6. jazzmetalrocknroll

jazzmetalrocknroll Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2012
    Rhode Island
    Hercule's travlite stand has a rubber ball, is built like a tank, and stores neatly inside the bell. The rubber ball hasn't been causing any problems, and doesn't need a sock.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Aren't you worried about it falling of the amp from vibrations while playing all that Metallica!! :D

Enter Sandman - Metallica - YouTube

I'm thinking around the 1:50 mark in this video! Only way that doesn't happen is if you're playing this version!

Youn Sun Nah - Enter Sandman - YouTube

Fell asleep trying to watch it! :-P:-P:-P:-P:-P

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Metal Turtle ..... it's not a pretty sight. :shhh:

Turtle

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    If your stand came in a little leather pouch like mine did - then you can use it on the stand as a "sock". I loop the drawstring over one leg so the pouch stays put whe I lift the horn. It works GREAT!