Is leaving you trumpet on a stand all the time bad for the finish

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Steve Hollahan

Steve Hollahan Pianissimo User

May 31, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Most trumpets are made of yellow brass, red brass, phosphor bronze, etc. Thin metals that are formed in tubes are very strong and should not sag or deform left on a stand. Older style stands always left scuffs, but most new stands don't. I leave mine on a stand a lot. In fact, B & S recommends keeping on stand as this avoids corrosion in the leadpipe.

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

ROFL

Hilarious. Mosh pitting turtles. That's something you don't see every day. YOu're the GoogleMaster.:thumbsup:

Turtle

3. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012
    someone mentioned using a snake to dry out the leadpipe - the trouble with my Reynolds 'C' Emperor trumpet is that the lead-pipe is so narrow it eats snakes for brekky. Does someone do a narrower than standard snake, or is there another clever gadget to use for such 'thin' instruments?

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    H & W Padsaver has a "snake" that conforms to whatever leadpipe you put it in. I have a Conn 12A that a Reeves would get jammed in the narrow receiver end. H&W does the trick now!

Here's the link. It can be bought at many places. H.W. Products, Inc.

5. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012
    thanks for that.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Turtle, you DO take the horn off when you are playing your guiter...RIGHT!

7. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    To answer the original question, yes, silver horns will tarnish far more quickly out of the case on a stand, than in the case. During my comeback I started leaving a silverplated horn out on the stand for easy access. It tarnished far more quickly. I have moved to leaving on Olds Special out as my practice hon-nickel and lacquer so no issue with silverplate.

On the side topic that has developed - each person is different and I certainly woudn't discourage anyone from keeping their horns clean. However, I have several horns that have been played for 40 or so years and they show no sign of red rot and the leadpipes are clean. They were cleaned maybe 3-4 times a year with regular playing. Point being, everone is different. If your body chemisrty is such that it produces red rot in a leadpipe, then a routine of cleaning after every play may be a good idea. For others that don't seem to have a detrimental chemisrty to the horn, it may be a lot of excess time that could go into playing.

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Off the amp? Heck no. Don't worry, the amp doesn't move, shake, rattle or roll, no matter how much I turn it up. The thing weighs 53 pounds. Takes a roadie to move it.

Turtle

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    ... I guess buying that horn on eBay with that sweet red wood stand on eBay is out of the question now

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Nothing like a good ultra-sonic cleaning of that horn I guess. No red rot on Turtle's horns!