Is my band director wrong?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JHSTrumpet, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Let me know how much it cost to have your trumpet repaired after you fell on it. ROFL ROFL ROFL

2. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    That's, "So I still got my trumpet to fall back on, eh." Like when my hosehead brother fell back on his trumpet it really messed up the bell, eh. Sorta looked like a taco. (snort) The repair guy said it would be like fifty bucks to fix it, eh. Fifty bucks!!! Take off! So like I reamed it out with a drumstick. Looks almost new. Beauty, eh?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  3. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I agree with all the rest. You don't need to be adding all this "expression". You ever watch these singing contest shows and see all of the "expression", of what I call "a bunch of unnecessary crap that I can't stand listening to" that are added to songs, basically ruining them?

Right. That's you. Stop it.

Tom

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    DUDE -- I own an OLDS SUPER and also a KING SILVER FLAIR ----- both are pretty much indestructable!!!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL having good horns is very nice, being able to drop them, fall on them, and have them NOT even get a dent, that is rather priceless. YEAH, ED -- go buy a KING, or an OLDS, and you will have something to fall on, but you wont' be able to fall and make it B flat -- cause they just don't dent very easily!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Eyyy!! look at this the Canadians can fix any trumpet Ed ---- and the beauty of it, this guy used a drumstick to fix it ----- next thing you know, he will be a conductor waving that one stick around and DIRECTING THE WHOLE SHOW!!! -- yeah -- GO CANADA!!!!! Maple leafs are pretty, Niagera Falls is half CANADIAN --- so are the Rocky Mountains -- EYYY, you got to love Canada!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

6. BrianCade

BrianCade New Friend

Jun 30, 2012
    The band director is not wrong, you are for a) disobeying your professor when you are there to learn b) ignoring your professor when she tell you to stop c)being prat enough to think you have something to express that anyone needs to hear. Get over yourself and get on with learning your instrument.

7. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    As a professional band director, among other musical activities, I have to take exception to the comments that the band director is always right. iMO, that just ain't so. What is so, is that the band director always gets the last vote. There's a difference.

In the case of the OP, my first reaction, as I was reading the post, was that this was a student musician who was trying to express him/herself as he/she thought was more emotional and not as rigid as most student musicians, and it seemed to me that the problem might just be that he just didn't have the musical maturity to know how to properly use the dynamics (and rubatos?) to play expressively in context; that he was trying but that it was just immature, musically, and therefore was messing with the band's overall performance. In which case, of course, the band director was asking the student to back off and not "interfere" with the overall musical effect the director was asking for.

So OP - maybe instead of feeling a bit resentful and confused over your band director's comments to you, you might spend your time better, if you listened to some great trumpet players playing melodically oriented music. Listen to how they use dynamics and articulations and rubato. Best yet, sing along with these recordings until the phrasing becomes second nature to you. Better even yet, once you've done that, try to play along with the recordings until it sounds like one, not two, trumpets.

8. dorkdog

dorkdog Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2012
    Pencil-Tucky
    This post reminds me of "The Simpsons" at the beginning where the little girl goes nutso on the sax.... in a section setting. From the cartoon, this was not necessarily received well; I believe she ended up leaving?

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Got 2 Olds Ambassadors and a King tenor 'bone, all resurrected from the calamity graveyard. They get banged up also, Ivan knows, he has worked on one of mine. I currently weigh 228 lbs and if I sat easily on one, I'd estimate the repairs at more than $200. Now if I fell on one I wouldn't worry about the instruments ... I'd worry about my hospital bill and future medical expenses, if I lived ... I'm very fragile ... not agile now. That's why I'm skeptical about folding chairs.

Kehaulani, in the capacity of conductor, your vote alone is the majority that wins. Same difference as I see it. If I were in your orchestra, I'd play it your way, but I'm not, so I'll play it however I want to.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    GEE, I am at (slightly over 200 lbs -- and hopefully in a few weeks, be under the 2 bill mark) -- but I have a King tenor trombone myself, and an OLDS AMBASSADOR horn, now that is built well --not that I practice dropping the thing, but occasionally it happens ---- and nothing breaks, so far ----------- of course, my doctor says I am fragile, and PRONE to falling ((LIKE how would she KNOW????)) --- but X-rays a few months back indicated some previous BREAKAGE(s), and some degenerating vertebrae and stuff like that -----and a young beautiful sympathetic doctor ((young enough to be my daughter)) --- merely said, "I really need to NOT FIGHT THE PAIN, and get on some pain meds, lose a few pounds --------and just go live life --and continue to play in the community band, and even participate in parades --- yes, just live what life I can ----- I love that doctor, she is so nice, that even bad news sounds GOOD!!!!!!! JUST LIVE LIFE --- that is this message