Is my band director wrong?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JHSTrumpet, Dec 8, 2012.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    One of the things that helps conductors live longer than trumpet players is that they are on the right side of the baton. We don't get paid for "liking" what the conductor does, we get paid for getting in THEIR HEAD and giving them what they want.

We can't determine if the thread owner has ears, musical common sense or anything else, so instead of dumping on the teacher, perhaps the best route is to promote communication. No conductor likes to be called out in front of the band, so make an appointment, maybe even record the next rehearsal to judge if what you hear is what they hear. Conflict resolution is always best achieved one on one before or AFTER a rehearsal.

I'll bet the conductor is right in this case.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    My max belt size was 52" with weight over 300 pounds, just laying in bed or sitting in a recliner chair watching TV, actually blown away on strong narcotic pain relievers. To say the least, back braces are not comfortable, nor is a hip brace. I've still pretty strong Rx for pain relief, but I've not taken any in months and have been hitting the exercise machines lately almost daily and playing the horns. Now the problem is keeping clothes in my closet that fit, but worse is shopping for new ones in this area.

KT, the race is on to see which of us breaks the 200# tape first.

3. whyit

whyit New Friend

Aug 12, 2012
    Corona CA
    Have you ever heard: If you have to ask? My high school band director was an armytrombonist, so even when he WAS wrong, he WAS right. Period, end of conversation. In four years of high school he ejected three students, which was hard to do in a public school in the 90's but in the end it was his group, his interpretation of how it should sound.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Don't know about your band director, but way back when there was no problem for my band director to dismiss a player from band. About every other player knew why, but I believe a major reason was that player's lack of practice at home. True, the Director would have had problems ejecting the player from school, but even that could have been justified had he done so ... which to my knowledge he didn't. Still, I need more than the fingers on both my hands to count the ones he did dismiss or they were asked by him to leave band. One of them sat in the chair next to me ... what a relief.

5. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I can't even imagine that happening these days. The kid's parents would be on the director with the threat of lawyers if
    a director booted a kid out of band.

6. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    That depends entirely if participation in the school's band was part of the curriculum. Now, when I went to school, participation was graded, and as long as you made an effort you got a passing grade, while missing events would lower that grade. However, our band director didn't use a chair system and heavily encouraged everybody to participate in at least one competition band per year (I usually did all three which were available to me). Those bands were also subject to the director's approval; each one had a reserve band which would be used as people either didn't show or the director just had their fill with them.

Let's make an analogy real fast. If you were playing WR on the football team and the coach had specifically laid out your route as a second option to the QB, then you need to stick to your route. If you take an out pattern and turn it into a slant, your QB is going to look for you where you were supposed to be, and not seeing you there, start looking for another option (and, consequently, get sacked).

Playing in a band means playing as a group, and if everybody in the group did their own thing, it'd wind up sounding like some sort of experimental polyphonic thing. It's not meant to squash your individuality, but section/soli work is not the time for individuality. Establish your reputation as a solid and dependable section player, and then you might get trusted with some solo or feature work where you're a little more free to have some embellishment.

DaTrump likes this.
  7. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    It does not matter whether he or she is right or wrong, the director makes the decision and it is your job to execute that decision.

8. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012

Just get some braces - cheaper that way... ROFL

9. trumpeterjake

trumpeterjake Pianissimo User

Aug 5, 2012
    Connersville, Indiana
    Directors are right. Just do what is told. You might think it sounds pretty from where you are sitting but to people listening you might be sticking out like a sore thumb. Tone quality and how much dynamic contrast you're using here is the key. My directors allow my to add dynamics thoughout a piece but it's because they have taught me through private lessons and stuff when it's in good taste to do so. Sometimes we as humans are bias to what we hear, meaning we think it's better then what it really is to everyone else.

10. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Was on a concert tour of Scotland and had lost enough weight that I needed suspenders for my pants. Kept getting snickers in every men's shop that I went to when I asked if they had any. Got a real giggle from some sales ladies after one men's shop suggested that I go there if I really wanted them. Seems I was looking for braces instead. Brits will get the joke - and my embarrassment.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012