Is my band director wrong?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JHSTrumpet, Dec 8, 2012.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    It's pretty frustrating not knowing what you don't know. I like the idea of approaching the band director privately and asking what it is she hears that you are doing wrong. Specifically, tempo, pitch, and , vibratto. I would try to not be defensive or make a case for why you are correct. Even if you don't agree. Ask questions if you don't understand but not with the attempt of justifying yourself. If the teacher is interested and you seem teachable then you might learn what it is you don't know.
    or
    you can look for reasons to justify your playing and not grow.
    Is it possible she likes the trombone player more than you ... maybe ....but it's more likely she enjoys good music.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I have them, but it's all a matter of style and comfort. Too, at times they interfere with my shoulder holster when I carry my magnums.

3. Saltycracka_

Saltycracka_ New Friend

Nov 17, 2012
    I see what you're saying, man, but the director does have the last say. When I was in band, my director got on to me all the time, because I play with my head tilted and my mouthpiece on the right side of my mouth. Given it wasn't affecting the sound of the band, but it did make me stand out WAY too much. They almost always know what they're talking about when they correct us.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Certainly your posture as shown in your avatar isn't helping you play effectively. Put your music on a stand, and sit in a straight backed chair or stand to play / practice.

5. Saltycracka_

Saltycracka_ New Friend

Nov 17, 2012
    Haha, I was posing man, but thanks for the tip.

6. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    I know exactly what you mean. I not only have a non-standard grip thanks to my de-evolved gorilla hands (I put my ring finger through the third valve ring and let my pinky rest against the side of the slide, or sometimes crook my index finger over the bell next to the valve case), I also tend to tilt my horn a little to make it a little more comfy for my wrist (CTS sucks in a big way). That was all well and fine in concert, actually somewhat distinguishing in jazz, but absolutely out of the question in marching as we wore white gloves which really stood out. And I still did it during football games if my wrist was in pain.

7. watchguy44

watchguy44 Pianissimo User

Jul 10, 2010
    Illinois
    I had the same issue with my College Jazz Band Director, and after being told to stop or leave, I pondered the circumstances and played how I was supposed too, later asked
    him what the problem was, and after he played back the recordings of what the music should sound like and what it sounded like with me "improvising" I was dead set on playing my music as written.
    I feel ya though, but as everyone said, the Director is always right. Enjoy!:cool:

8. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    one of the best players I ever knew told me one time he sat next to a working pro on a job and the pro told him when playing in a group "play the ink and watch the director", some of the best advise I ever got.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012