Is my CG Conn trumpet really a conn?

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by jcrowe77, Dec 6, 2017.

1. ATrumpetDude

ATrumpetDude Piano User

Sep 15, 2015
    Looks like a legit Conn 22B to me, from the 1930's.

True Tone, Dennis78 and Brassman64 like this.
  2. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    Looks like one to me, why do you think it wouldn’t be?

True Tone and Dennis78 like this.
  3. jcrowe77

jcrowe77 New Friend

Jul 19, 2016
    I've just gotten burned in a past. I bought this trumpet off Goodwill and I thought it might be a knockoff. Thanks

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    That's the real deal.

5. Brassman64

Brassman64 Mezzo Piano User

May 13, 2017
    Torrance,California
    Trumpetdude is exactly right I have 4 of them from the early to late 20s.The engraving is right the 3 Rd valve ring attached.Pinky rings came in after 1928.I can't read the serial numbers but the 30s were my guess too.All mine are silver plated with gold wash bells.It looks like the genuine article I don't know of any knockoffs from the 30s.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  6. jcrowe77

jcrowe77 New Friend

Jul 19, 2016
    Thanks to everyone that has responded. How much do these go for? I paid probably too much. I spent around 130.00 dollars. Is it worth it to have this trumpet fixed if there are any problems with it or should it stay original? I have not received the trumpet yet; it is currently being shipped. I have never owned a professional horn. Would this qualify? All my trumpets are student level trumpets. Thanks again everyone for all of the responses.

7. Brassman64

Brassman64 Mezzo Piano User

May 13, 2017
    Torrance,California
    You did well with this purchase $130.00 for a horn without issues is good for a 22B.In the 30s all Conn Trumpets made in Elkhart Indiana were considered to be professional quality instruments.Later they manufactured horns for students or beginners under the Pan American name which were still well made quality Instruments .Vintage trumpets play nicely but may not blend exactly with more modern horns in a section.

True Tone likes this.
  8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    The 22B was called the "New York Symphony" model back then and was used by many professional musicians. They play well, but are efficient small bore trumpets, so you need to back off a bit when playing it and let it do more of the work.

True Tone likes this.
  9. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    I've never seen a Conn knockoff that actually had a bell marked "Conn" on it. I have a "Parrot" Chinese horn here that looks a lot like a Connstellation on casual inspection, but it clearly says "Parrot" on the bell and "Connstellation" nowhere. Now, counterfeit Bach Strads: those are being made in China right now. The bell engraving is clearly fake to anyone who's seen a real Strad-- it's out of proportion, and I think the real ones still use a stamp for at least part of the text. Someone paid several hundred for a fake (that sells for about $400 new) on Shopgoodwill lately-- that was painful to see.

ConnDirectorFan likes this.