Is my endurance normal?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Patrick9654, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Patrick9654

Patrick9654 New Friend

Mar 14, 2008
    I have begun playing again about 2 years ago. Before this I had a brief 35 year break. I try to practice everyday. I can play for about 1 hour after that I go down hill quickly. Is this normal? Should I be able to play a lot longer by now?

Thanks

2. terrytuner

terrytuner Pianissimo User

Sep 23, 2010
    Tennessee
    My current situation mirrors yours almost exactly. Quit playing in 1980, resumed about 9 months ago. I tire quicker than I did 30+ years ago, as well as an even shorter time when range is more or less acceptable. I also suspect that one's overall age in years affects performance. I have adjusted my warm-up period to accomodate more long and lower tones. I've split that rehearsal time into 2 or more sessions. The need for long warm-ups on subsequent daily sessions are shortened. I do play everyday and rehearse with a community band once per week.

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    After 2 years back an hour is pretty normal. It depends on what and how you practice and if you have any bad playing habits. Do you have a teacher who is making sure you are playing with good habits and that you are playing material appropriate for your level?

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Similar experience here. I started back 2 years ago after a 15+ year break. My biggest problem at first was playing too much. My brain wanted to do much more than my chops could handle. For much of my first year, I could only practice for about 45 minutes a day before I saw declining returns. I'm up to around 90 minutes a day now.

In addition, I'm also careful to break up my practice into 15 to 20 minute increments. I always "leave the table hungry", in that I never practice to the point of exhaustion. Finally, I rest (or play very little) the day after a really hard gig.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  5. Printer

Printer New Friend

May 1, 2010
    San Francisco
    It's nice to know I'm normal.

6. Mark B

Mark B Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2010
    Redlands, CA
    You are NOT normal. You're a trumpet player. ROFL

Mark

7. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    It also depends on what you mean by practice. When I practice, I don't blow straight for 2 hrs. I play a phrase and rest and play a phrase, etc when I'm just starting out. When I'm in to it, I might play a whole exercise (3~6 lines?). Then rest for like 2~3 minutes... And once in a while a pretty decent water break like 5 minutes. This is how I would do it when I'm practicing for 3 hrs...

8. ska

ska Pianissimo User

Sep 12, 2009
    Estonia
    I wouldn't suggest that endurance has to do with the time you play in a row. I consider endurance how long you can keep to a high note ( what you may consider difficult to play ) without losing control.

To answer your question tho, an hour is an acceptable period of time - I have never tried to play an hour in a row with intensive material - I have short breaks to relax my muscles - something I do very often is grimaces - different positions of your muscles help relax them and enhance the blood support to the muscles.

So maybe the downward spiral after an hour is caused by not taking short breaks to relax your embouchure. It could be.

9. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi Patrick,
    Bravo! Playing for an hour is very good. Just pay attention to what is wearing out first(lips, lungs, arms,etc.) and work toward making that body area recieve less stress while you are playing. Its just like being in the gym. Find your weakest physical link and work toward making it better.

10. Patrick9654

Patrick9654 New Friend

Mar 14, 2008
    Thanks for all the replies. I guess I just feel I keep wanting to do better. I probably expect too much of myself and need to just keep playing and let nature take it's course. It sounds like I am probably just about where I should be I just didn't have anyone or anything to compare it too.

Thanks again everyone for the replies