Is my endurance normal?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Patrick9654, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    I'm a relative newbie (7 months on trumpet now). I found this routine to really help, so much so I'm actually amazed at my own progress (compared just to myself when I first began - could barely squeak out E on the staff, can now hit B/C above the staff pretty solidly).

Wed/Th/Fri - maybe 30 minutes a day total practice in 15 minute chunks (mostly because I'm fidgety and can't sit still much longer) - long tones, light lip slurs, easy chromatics, a few etudes

Sat/Sun - have more time so I'll do maybe 2 hours total per day, again in 15 minute chunks throughout the whole day. This time though I'll really hammer away at lip slurs, "climbing chromatics", scales, etc. so that on Sunday my lips are pretty tired.

Mon/Tues, sometimes Wed - no practice whatsoever.

I'll then come back the next day and I can really tell a difference.

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I think it depends on age and your physical health. I'm 45 and back at it for 22 months now -- I can do a 3+hr . practice, but like others -- I play for 10 minutes and rest for a few. If I do a hard practice -- lots of tonguing, slurs, and higher range ---- then I sometimes have to do a few lighter, softer days, with limited range. BUT, I am pushing myself as much as I can (without injury) - and it has been a long gradual process to come that far.
    An hour is GREAT! I wouldn't stress about that, as long as you are improving, and you are happy playing.

3. DanoTman

DanoTman New Friend

Oct 13, 2010
    If you're looking for an organized method to gradually and intelligently get you back into shape, check out "16 Weeks to Killer Chops" at - Home. This method is in the roll out phase and I would appreciate any and all feedback, on the website, the concept, the marketing, whatever. There are free samples available for immediate download (the original first week!)

4. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    I really think being in good cardiovascular shape helps tremendously. It would take me a good week to get back into it if I hadn't played in awhile and the first day I could always count on 'mush mouth.' After playing soccer now for several years and running as well(not super hardcore I'm talking 2-3 times a week), I have noticed a huge difference in the amount of time it takes to 'get back' and endurance as well. When you have a healthy set of lungs and diaphragm supplying a good air stream, it goes such a long way in augmenting your lip strength.

5. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    You know, that's something I wonder about. What you said makes sense and makes me want to exercise. On the other hand have you seen the belly on Arturo and Maynard (when he was with us)? Makes me NOT want to exercise.

6. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Hahaha, Satchmo. I have noticed that as well that 'big' men seem able to scream easily. I bet the belly helps generate that air stream, but I would not want to have their heart when I hit 50!