Is practicing really the way to get better?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Anonymous, Sep 10, 2005.

1. sinfoniantrumpeter

sinfoniantrumpeter Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2005
    I didn't mean any dissrespect to the late Mr. Broiles. It was more a comment on the acoustics (or lack thereof) of the orchestra pit at the MET at the time. I agree though, we need more artists like him.

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    None taken whatsoever, it was an honest question. It gave me an excuse to reminisce about one of my favorite teachers!

ML

3. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Wow...what a peek into your approach. Glad to see I'm not the only one who has to stop and yell at the kids!!!

Thanks, Manny!

4. Tarter_trpt8

Tarter_trpt8 Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    Manny,

If you were to time your practice for the day, would you inclkude the resting inbetween playing practicing, or is lip time the only time you would write down. If you were to do fundamentals for 30 minutes of the course of an hour, woulkd you write down 30 minutes of 1 hour??

Jeremy

5. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Never thought about it!

I guess I'd just actual include playing time.

ML

6. bftrumpet

bftrumpet New Friend

Sep 30, 2004
    Miami, Florida
    Since we've been talking about Mr. Broiles, what are some of the recordings where those of us who never had the opportunity to hear him live or in lessons can hear his playing? Some from the Met? Any others come to mind? I seem to remember having a Goldman Band recording featuring Mr. Broiles on Eb Trumpet (recorded in 1965). Incidentally, this recording also features James Burke playing a cornet solo in a tune called "The Wood Up Quickstep). Thanks for the great info!

Ben Fairfield

7. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I think Wilmer might be abetter source of info about this. My experience with hearing Mel was almost exclusively live and at lessons. The only record I have of him is a Brandenburg he made on F trumpet with a group conducted by Max Goberman. Huge, unabashed playing.

ML

8. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    I only do about 30 minutes a day usually split into two sessions.

I have three kids and I am CEO of a company with complex operations so it does not leave much time for playing.
    Some days I do more, but my practice is structured between exercises, etudes (or simple tunes like hym tunes) and practicing repertoire for upcoming concerts.

I am now totally convinced that interval training is the way to maximise on limited practicing time.
    I try to push hard with every second exercise I do, and punctuate the really tough muscular stuff with gentle playing.
    I think this helps me to do more in a shorter space of time and helps me to maintain stamina without doing hours of practicing.

There is some evidence that this is true.
    I have known many teachers who play sporadically durin the day to help pupils. I have also known many orchestral trumpet players who do not much practicing but rehearse a lot which involves playing had and then resting for hundreds of bars.
    They all seem to have the ability to pick up and play nicely with little warm up and have lots of stamina.
    I think the two are connected.

BUT, one thing these people all have in common with me is that we have all played vast amounts when we were younger.
    I can remember doing four or five hours practicing a day, then going out to a gig or a full brass band rehearsal where I blew for a good two hours solidly.
    Over a few years this must have a permanent impact on anyones playing muscles. Even just the muscle memory aspect.

I do think that we could learn a lot from athletics about the muscular side of playing.

9. ponce

ponce New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    New York
    I'd like to share my memory of my "without a doubt all time fave" recording of Mel Broiles. My only regret is that I doubt that I or anyone else reading this will ever be able to hear it again. Manny - perhaps you remember this: Did Mel ever lend you an LP recording he made in the studio of the Friese Etudes? As I recall, he had claimed to only have the one copy. He had rented studio time and said simply to the engineer: "Record me!" I can still hear his voice in my head as he introduces his playing as the LP began. He said slowly and clearly: "Ernest August Friese, always in the tonality of C." From then on it was back to back Friese Etudes, he played every last one.

The playing was brilliant, there was not one missed note. And I would say that the Friese Etudes are a degree or two more difficult than the Charlier. (Would you concurr, Manny?)Perhaps missed notes were edited out, but I bet not, cuz this was done on the cheap. I don't know why I didn't make a cassette copy of this LP, but I neglected to. Anyway, I must have listened to it 30 times in the week that Mel trusted me with it. It felt even more like a private Mel Broiles concert to me than his live playing at my lessons did!

10. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I can't believe I missed out on that! Too bad for me.

I remember when Mel was handing those out. You're right, they are harder than the Charlier's which he was also very fond of. I'll bet I still have them... thanks for giving me a new idea to work on: perfecting those!

ML