Is rubbing alcohol harmful to silver?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jorto131, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Jorto131

Jorto131 New Friend

May 19, 2011
    Hello, a member of my family was sent to the hospital with a staph infection and the doctor said the entire family needs to be treated and the household needs to be treated as well. Since I play my trumpet daily I need to cleanse that as well. We are using rubbing alcohol on all hard surfaces within the house but I wasn't sure if it would mess up my horn. The finish is silver. If rubbing alcohol is not safe please suggest an alternative. Thank you.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If the horn is silver plated, the alcohol will evaporate and leave no residue or tarnish. Wait a while for it to evaporate before you play. The taste of rubbing alcohol makes playing no fun.

This will not get the inside of our trumpet clean however. A better bet is a hot soapy bath and a good bore brush.

3. Jorto131

Jorto131 New Friend

May 19, 2011
    Ok, Thank you.

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Jorto - just a thought - avoid naked flames too. :D

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    IMO ask the Doctor for his recommendation for the household cleaning liquid necessary. They don't use rubbing alchohol in the hospital for this purpose. There are infections around today that are life threatening. I'm even suggesting surgical gloves and a mask as you clean and disinfect. Worst case scenario you don't want to read or think about but the cost of a biological hazmat team is beyond belief. If the patient has been put in hospital isolation I hope you realize how serious this is. A trumpet can be autoclaved and restored ... your life cannot.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Isopropyl Alcohol at 91% is clinically proven to remove bacteria and fungus causing respiratory irritation. It will not harm the silver.

7. simso

simso Pianissimo User

Jul 1, 2009
    Australia, Perth
    Perfectly fine for silver, but I would avoid using it prolonged on any lacquered surfaces, it will soften them.

8. Jorto131

Jorto131 New Friend

May 19, 2011
    Thank you ed for your concern but rubbing alcohol was recommended,also my family is not in any danger because we are merely carriers of the virus; or people who have contracted the virus but do not show symptoms of it. the reason we are cleansing ourselves and the household is because we are a danger to others who come in contact with us and also, we don't want to be in quarantine hahaha

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    A staph infection is not a virus, it is a bacteria. Antibiotics are NOT necessary to give to entire family members. MRSA is a staph bacteria called S. aureus that has seen an antibiotic or two too many BECAUSE PHYSICIANS ARE PERSCRIBING THIS FOR ENTIRE FAMILY MEMBERS THAT A PATIENT BEING DISCHARGED FROM THE HOSPITAL JUST SO HAPPENS TO HAVE. AND BECAUSE PHYSICIANS ARE PERSCRIBING ANTIBIOTICS FOR THE COMMON COLD!

Ok end of this rant, I'm taking a deep breath as good trumpet players do, now let's continue.

This bacteria is hard to eradicate from the nose (the organ really carrying this bacteria), but there is a special spray that has been shown to be effective. I do not recommend giving this to all in the family.

Now let me debunk what you have been told by the health care professionals in your life. I am a pediatrician (as well as internist) but we are particularly aggressive at protecting our little patients. The Pediatric Red Book from the American Academy of Pediatrics states the following recommendations related that MOST PROTECTED environment called the "day care" where kids are in close contact and sharing secretions liberally: "Children with S. aureus colonization or infection should not be excluded routinely from child care or school settings." Now we don't want to hurt our kiddies, do we?

There, you have seen it here on a Trumpet site, the sky IS NOT falling and there is no protective measures necessary. This is because community-associated S. aureus infection cannot be prevented, because the organism is ubiquitous and there is no vaccine. Focusing on good hand hygiene and wound care is effective at limiting transmission of S. arueus and preventing spread of infections in community settings.

And let's teach our kids the falling valuable lesson from Saturday Night Live: You can pick your own nose and a friend can pick the friend's nose, but you cannot pick your friends nose.

That's it, and I'm outta here.

10. Jorto131

Jorto131 New Friend

May 19, 2011

The CDC states that the entire family disinfecting themselves and the surroundings is standard procedure when one or more members of that particular family have an infection. Also only the member who had the infection takes the antibiotics while the rest are just using medical grade soap to bathe in and taking nasal gel.