Is that really a flugelhorn?

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by brem, Sep 7, 2008.

1. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Antalya, Turkey
    Even without testing, I am sure that the Martin sounds much better.

2. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

A couple of years ago one of our local musical instrument stores,( then newly converted into a guitar store ), called telling me that they had just taken in trade one of the finest flugel horns ever made. I went by to look. It was a Martin Committee model flugel. I tried it for a few days and was NOT overly impressed. I now have a Yamaha student grade flugel that IMHO is much better. Of course, that is just my opinion.

OLDLOU>>

3. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    For me, the Martin flugel would not be the horn I would buy/play. I have played the Bach and liked it. Remember we are all different, one player's discard can be another guy's "go-to horn."
    Wilmer

4. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Antalya, Turkey
    I never liked Bach Flugels and cornets...That's me. But surely I would not compare the martin to some new yamaha models, possegger (his flugels are so hot!) and few others modern builders, who are so much better.

5. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

But, my Yamaha flugel is just a student model 2310. I am pleased with it and have gotten several compliments from other trumpeters about what it sounds like.

OLDLOU>>

6. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

The 2310 is a solid horn. I'm a fan of the Yamaha horns.
    That flugel is the same as several others that've sold on ebay in the last several months. I recently saw a Bach Mt. Vernon model 311 in A. Talk about a funky horn!

7. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Wilmer,

It is nice looking horn. How do you suppose it played compared to others of its day? Today's flugels?

Best wishes,

LLoyd

8. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    I can't remember what the model number is in mine, but I have a Yamaha flugel that I love. I got it in ninth grade and it's paid for itself MANY times over, if only it had some triggers of a finger ring...

-Jimi

9. aspires

aspires Pianissimo User

Mar 15, 2008
    But... IT'S SHINY... AND HAS GOLD TRIM!!!!!ROFL

So... any of y'all think Mr. 9***6 is using sniper software? Holy smokes... 246 bids!!!:shock: Almost all of them his. What I don't understand is why the most recent several dozen all show the same $810 amount.

10. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Thanks to Miles Davis and the Martin Flugel, the model that you see, the flugel became a "must-have" instrument in the studios. I preferred the french flugels, though I played a Mahillion for a while. I have to play more of the current crop of horns to give a real assessment of the contemporary instruments.
    Check the Schilke Flugel!
    Schilke Flugelhorn
    Wilmer

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008