Is the angle of the air stream into the mouthpiece something to be concerned about?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Aug 24, 2012.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I was messing around with buzzing ( no mp) and noticed my air stream seemed to point down not straight . So then I tried it with the mouthpiece and played with it until I could feel the air stream increase. In order to do that I either had to move my jaw forward or play around with my lip position.
    Then I started thinking.. what the heck am I doing this for. The buzz is sort of a feedback thing right?
    Anyway.. your thoughts?

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Re: Is the angle of the air stream into the mouthpiece something to be concerned abou

Hi Dave,

I think you are thinking too much, recall some of our previous conversations. I have been told to blow high in the mp for low notes and low for high notes, or was it the other way around, I forget! I try to keep the same setting and blow throughout the range.

I have abandoned mp and free buzzing as I felt they were not providing improvement but introducing excessive tension in the chops.

Regards, Stuart.

Sofus likes this.
  3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Re: Is the angle of the air stream into the mouthpiece something to be concerned abou

Yes, I got some good info from that thread also. The main point that I was seeing is that you better be going upstream or downstream or you are stuck in s*** creek, with no paddle. :-(

Also, going up or down isn't as important as your "type". Maybe somebody can flesh out the different categories ....

Type I
    Type II
    Type III
    Type IV
    Type V: Bottichure.

Turtle

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia

I am with 357 about it being VERY complex and hard to understand without extreme scrutiny. I am going to explore the possibilities though! "TO INFINITY AND BEYOND......" :D

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

I was lucky enough to figure out my type without a full facial X-ray. :thumbsup:

Turtle

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

No, I'm downstream/Bottichure. Why fight the current??? :dontknow:

Turtle

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio

I believe this can be impacted by the formation of the alpha angle which is the mathematical angle of the mouthpiece wall as it goes from the end of the rim curve then into the cup. The alpha angle effects how the lips set in the mouthpiece, which can impact on tone, range, endurance and attacking a note. The "best" alpha angle is player dependent. The average angle ranges from about 13-19°. But some do better on higher and some on lower angles.

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

:-?

So, now, I need an X-ray of my face with the trumpet attached, AND an Alpha Angleometer??? :stars:

Turtle

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012