Is the angle of the air stream into the mouthpiece something to be concerned about?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Aug 24, 2012.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Re: Is the angle of the air stream into the mouthpiece something to be concerned abou

Can probably find one on e-Bay under brass accessories! :-P

2. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
  3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Re: Is the angle of the air stream into the mouthpiece something to be concerned abou

or you could just remember the monicker that we had as kids in baseball when we used a bat that was too big, or we were getting tired in the 9th inning --- "choke up on the bat, son" ---- or in other words, you might want to "choke up on the mpc" and set your top lip a little higher on the mpc --- the vibratory mass is important ---- less vibratory mass = higher notes.
    OF COURSE -- the physics of the whole thing, might indicate some special angle --- but the practical reality is ----- get the lips on the right place, and blow the right type of air through it (fast air, angled air, moist air) whatever you want to call it ---- just give it to the horn ----- and that will do wonders, far more than trying to figure out what angle your lips are on your face!! (IMHO) of course ---

4. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

The discussion of "Up" vs "Down" falls into the category of what I call "Deep Embouchure Theory" Lets call it DET for short. There might be a better term for this subject but this is all I could come up with.

The problem with analyzing DET related matters is twofold: The matters of consequence associated with building and understanding are limited and difficult to explain. Like describing why some trumpet players can play high note squeakers of unlimited register on dry lips and most others of us can't. We could explain why this is so but most folks wouldn't understand it nor be expected to apply the technique even if they could comprehend the matter. Dry lip chop settings wouldn't fit their physical frame work. Plus even if they could utilize the matter all it would do is help bridge the gap from High A to Double C. Making them somewhat easier to play on those rare rare occasions the notes were actually required for a gig. In the meantime the concept of DET wouldn't help any other aspect of their playing at all. All other elements of musicality like matters that affect endurance, tone production and 99.99% of usable, playable range can be learned and discovered from within the framework of normal, easy to understand chop physics. Maybe I should find a term for that! well actually i did its called "Just Tongue and Blow"

So there isn't a lot of value in learning what advantage or disadvantage exists between blowing "up" or "down". Not to mention that the Reinhardt description only refers to the ratio of upper to lower lip in this account. An near irrelevant distinction. The better qualifier would have been whether the jaw is placed receded, even or forward. But then again that delves into the realm of DET where the gains to be made are small to non-existent and the discussion is is limited to major geeks who spend too much time on the internet...

Speaking of which I haven't shaved in days.

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA

oh my ---- I should have just waited for Local357 to show up --- and there you have it folks -- "just tongue and blow", perhaps that is a more reasonable description than mine --- "just choke up on the mpc and just give it to the horn "
    but I like to be original ---- and I would rather not steal or use Local357's "just tongue and blow" saying -- out of professional courtesy.
    so - yeah - perhaps KT will use that ""just choke up on the mpc and just give it to the horn" -- although others can freely use the term, given that they would most likely give ME credit anyhow ROFL ROFL ROFL

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio

Are you refering ot moniker lewinsky... What would she know about the alpha angle? Oh... never mind.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA

the oral angle was apparently 360 degrees in the Oral, I mean Oval office!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio

Depending on your nationality... Perhaps and Angleosaxonometer:dontknow:

9. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire

I always want the airstream to be as straight as possible then I can adjust (usually instinctively) to give me a different tone, this means I play fairly straight out. BUT it isn't something I allow my self to worry about

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio

OR

This isn't a cheap trick to get a plastic surgeon referral from me is it Turtle?