Is the angle of the air stream into the mouthpiece something to be concerned about?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Aug 24, 2012.

1. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    Re: Is the angle of the air stream into the mouthpiece something to be concerned abou

I once had a few seconds with the lead guy for the Ted Heath band (yes, it was that long ago). I asked him about how he played the high notes. He gave roughly the same sage advice: "Just sock it in and blow, mate."

kingtrumpet likes this.
  2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Re: Is the angle of the air stream into the mouthpiece something to be concerned abou

I like that description

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown

Oh. Turtle was asking about an "angleometer" and not an "angelometer" so I guess I can't be of help. Gunther Schuller advocated blowing towards the bottom of the mouthpiece for low notes and towards the top of high notes, but he was a horn player and yelled at me once.

4. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire

Does an Anglometer measure how English you are, Well I like warm bitter, cricket, I have a pale wan complexion with dark thinning hair................But I'm not English I'm Yorkshire

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

:noway:

T

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

So ... he can't be trusted. :noway:

Turtle

7. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia

youtube.com Joseph Meidt X Ray movies of Horn and Trumpet playing.

Regards, Stuart.

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro

woah, this could really mess you up ... I guess I am a down stream player ... I was hoping it was more about what comes out the other end of the horn...and it appears to be ... whew

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro

oh my ... think of the possibilities!

10. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY

Reinardt made a list and labeled different types of embouchure settings. We all fall in one of these types. What difference does it make which one, if what you're using works.

I was playing lead and scream books in bands long before someone told me what type embouchure I was. I was playing scream in one band,and when I couldn't make a gig, the leader had to get Jerry Callet to sub for me.

My point is don't over think everything. Do what works for you. Even in Reinhardt's "Encyclopedia Of The Pivot System",he says one type pivots up,but pivoting down could also work for the same type.

What ever type you are,if the air stream is down,shoot the air towards the bottom rim (your chin) for high notes,if the air shoots up, aim at the top rim(your nose)for high notes. Experiment and see what works best for you,you have now found what type embouchure you have. Don't cripple your playing by over analyzing every thing you do.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012