Is the Trumpet we hear the Trumpet they hear?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bachstul, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    I've seen the teethmarks Thomas Edison planted into the wood casement of his developing phonograph to "listen" for signs of vibrations emitted, traveling from his teeth to his auditory nerve via the bones of his skull and incus.

You know your voice sounds "different" to you when you hear it on a home video. Everyone says to you "No, that's how you sound when you speak." A mass of your voice vibrations enriched by your sinus cavities travel inside directly to your auditory nerves completely bypassing your ear, located behind the mouth.

So, with our ears behind our trumpet bell, and the trumpet frequencies vibrating through our skull bones directly to the auditory nerve, does the trumpet one is playing actually sound like the one everybody hears?

2. Labidochromis

Labidochromis Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2009
    Armstrong BC.
    IMO: No,

Play something in a flat room, " no echo or dynamics, outside works as well" then play the same thing facing a mirror.

you should hear a lot of detail in the higher frequencies that you didn't hear when you were away from the mirror. Higher frequencies are more directional than lower frequencies and will note project backward from the source as the lower frequencies do.

The shape of the bell will affect this, I believe some rimless bells give the player more feedback because those higher frequencies are not dampened by the wire wrap and will carry back off the bare edge of the bell.

as to whether you can hear your own lips vibrate and carry back through your facial structure, I would say this is likely but very hard to quantify as there are other factors that come into play as mentioned above.

That is what comes to mind so far, maybe someone else has some more interesting bits to offer?

Cheers!

:cool:

3. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    I definitely sound different when listening to myself recorded

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    That is a no brainer. If the trumpet sounded the same from both sides, nobody would play it. No sense in destroying your own ears!

The bell only lets a certain range of frequencies pass back to the player. The less that the player gets, the more that is available for the audience. Too little feedback means that we always play too loud.

5. Labidochromis

Labidochromis Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2009
    Armstrong BC.
    Thats really funny, I never thought of that.

I wondered why my wife developed a flinch when the horn came out of the case!!

:cool:

6. zonebob

zonebob New Friend

Dec 30, 2008
    Kansas
    My dog always runs away, but he's a shelter dog, and I assumed someone had yelled at him. He's my shadow, except when the trumpet is in my hand, then he won't come near me.

7. SilverHorn

SilverHorn Pianissimo User

Feb 2, 2009
    Alabama
    I've noticed that also, I sound very different when I hear a recording of myself versus what I hear while I'm playing. Maybe that would explain why my wife bought her some earplugs when I received my trumpet. :cool:
    I have stood in front of a wall before while playing and sounded different, but not in front of a mirror.

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Both my cats leave the room when a horn comes out.
    veery

9. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Thanks for the mirror idea. Something that I have never thought about. Besides I have been wanting to put a full length mirror in my studio to check posture and to make sure that my horn is as parallel to the floor as possible when playing.

Quick thought on recording with a tape recorder. Depending on the type of recorder, the feed back will not give a good example of tone. Whenever I want to get a good example of a piece that I am working on I go to the high school where they have some excellent recording equipment and it really tells the story so you know where to make adjustments.

10. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    What difference does a mirror make with sound? Is it just because it's a flat smooth surface? Surely its reflective qualities only apply to light.