Is the Trumpet we hear the Trumpet they hear?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bachstul, Feb 24, 2009.

1. GoodMusic@PA

[email protected] Piano User

Aug 7, 2008
    I seem to sound different on recordings too than what i hear behind the horn...

2. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    'What difference does a mirror make with sound? Is it just because it's a flat smooth surface? Surely its reflective qualities only apply to light.'

I think it's because its a hard, non-porous surface. Light reflectiveness is irrelevant.

Regards,

Trevor

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  3. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    Make one of these and attach it to your horn !! A friend made one so I duplicated it, it's for playing in very loud bands with bad soundmen !! Or if you want all your sound out of the mains and not accoustically, (helps good soundmen mix easier !) Be careful you'll put youself on your knees, ALL your sound will hit you right in the face !!!! It gave me a new respect for where I have that bell pointing !!

Hoghorn

MySpace.com - Jack My Photos - Photo 30 of 53

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  4. Labidochromis

Labidochromis Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2009
    Armstrong BC.
    A perfectly smooth and hard surface will reflect sound with greater accuracy than a rough or soft surface.

Soft surfaces will absorb sound and the higher frequencies will be dissipated first. Sound travels out from its source in a circular pattern (waves) much like ripples in water when you drop a pebble into a pond.

Rough surfaces will cause the frequencies to distort and not reflect accurately.

My family room is very flat in that there are lots of floor length curtains soft furniture, soft carpet and acoustic tile on the ceiling. The dining room is very live and big (Lots of reverb); hardwood floors, big windows, open spaces to the living room and kitchen. MBR has a full length mirror on one side and reflects back quite accurately, still not quite the same as being in front of the horn though.

Your horns will sound change with your environment, be aware of what is in the room and its nature in relation to sound because it will affect what you hear.

Cheers!

:cool:

5. Labidochromis

Jan 7, 2009
    Armstrong BC.

That is way cool, what material is used for the clear flat surface?

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Yes, mine too - I NEVER thought it might be due to loudness. :roll: Oh! How much better do I feel now, and I take back all I ever imagined. ;-)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  7. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Well, keeping your trumpet level is not a concern at all. Posture to practice is to keep your arms away from your ribs, and not let your head come "behind" your neck. I do seem to enjoy playing standing up lately, I find more flexibility.

If you like to keep the trumpet level, then it is your head you want to tilt for more m.p. pressure on the upper lip when you go low, more m.p. pressure on the lower when you go high. It's fun to blow a long tone at the floor and move the bell in a circular motion sometimes, in one of those improvisational moments w/ the band.

8. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I play into the corner of the hard plaster walls so I can hear more.

I have a pet tokay gecko I have raised from an egg. I can play his vocalizations on my trumpet and he gets very upset.

Tom

9. Labidochromis

Jan 7, 2009
    Armstrong BC.
    I have found the same thing; I usually sit when practicing, I guess that is a hangover from the highschool band days!

When I start struggling with playing something everything opens up when I stand and it is like magic, there it is!

The timber is better when I stand also, I think it is as you had said about posture while standing.

I still practice while sitting as this will be necessary sometimes, I know I sound better and play well standing so I don't worry about it much.

Cheers!

10. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    The trumpet you hear and the trumpet the audience hears is different in a lot of ways. A way to get an appreciation of this is to find a song you really play well, record it and listen to it. Does it sound like you thought? Unless you are use to this process, probably not. Its the difference between what we hear and what the audience hears that makes recording and listening to practice sessions so important. In time, the gap between what you hear and what the audience hears will narrow by recording your practices and seriously listening to them. Will the gap disappear? doubtful. But narrowing the gap is the first step towards achieving that goal. I use a Zoom H2 to record myself and my students for study purposes.

Labidochromis likes this.