Is the Trumpet we hear the Trumpet they hear?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bachstul, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    Thanks Labidochromis !

It's an 8" clear drumhead !

Hoghorn

2. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Snorglorf...good question. However other than the sound "feedback" looking into a mirror as you play does show your posture, your hand position, are your lips centered, horn level or close to it to maximize air passage through the throat and last but not least facial expressions when playing. I have been told that I get quite animated when playing...but then I think that we all do in one way or another.

I went to Walmart last night and got a full length mirror and my first student this morning got a kick out of it and we corrected some posture errors.

Besides when you look into the mirror you think to yourself..."who is that dynamite looking trumpet player?". (Ha ha)

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I recommend the opposite.

Our brain separates the clues it gets from sound waves reaching the ears under 10 milliseconds (early reflections) and over 30 milliseconds. The early reflections tend to confuse our sense of location and space - this is what happens when you blow into a mirror. That means you really cannot interpret what is going on or make musical decisions.

The second problem is what the brain does with the sound. High frequencies are absorbed by the air around us and the further away you are, the less of them are audible. Our expectations of trumpet sound are what the audience usually gets. Blowing into a mirror boomerangs that extremely bright sound back to our ears and the brain sends the signal: darken up. That will build habits that make our live sound stuffy.

My advice is to put as much space between you and a wall as possible when practicing. That helps build better projection and tonal concepts.

4. soloft

soloft New Friend

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    No, we don't hear what they do. Without getting too much physics involved, the sound is going out and then bouncing back to our ears. To our audience, the sounds is straight at them.
    If you want a better idea of how you sound to an audience, play some long tones and hold one hand out in front of your bell. The sound should go back along your arm and into your ear. I've seen a lot of singers do this, and I have also. It's a good way to tune without a tuner also.

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi labidochromis,
    I know exactly what you mean by "my wife developed a flinch".
    My wife is the same way. Now I'm "required" to use a ringmute when I play in the house. Maybe its because women appear to be able to hear higher frequencies than men.
    If you've been married very long, you know that the daily operations of a marriage generally revolves around, tolerance, negotiation, and forgiveness.
    My wife and I negotiated. When she's home I use a ringmute, when shes away from the house, I take that sucker off the bell rim and I make the walls sing!!

6. Labidochromis

Labidochromis Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2009
    Armstrong BC.

Hello Markie!

I know exactly what you mean, I have a Best Brass practice mute showing up either today or tomorrow.

I am actually quite fortunate and my wife is more understanding than not. So long as I in a practice room with the door shut she doesn't mind too much. The mute will be a great help, she likes hearing some of the exercises and the musical stuff. No tolerance for the warm up stuff like long tones and lip slurs which I do a lot of.............. did I say a lot?

When she is away we raise the roof a few inches and they can hear me 4 houses down. All in good fun!!

Cheers!

:cool:

7. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    This will do exactly what your all talking about but you won't loose any overtones !! :cool:

Attached Files: